• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

F11 fuse keeps blowing.

Long story short, I left a red light and thought I killed my car, I was rolling at about 5 to 10 mph, so I pulled it into 2nd and popped the clutch. It didn't fire. Clutched it again and tried starting it, it wouldn't do anything. Fuse 11, in the distribution box under the hood, was blown. I replaced it and it just keeps blowing fuses. Just turning the key on, not even trying to start it. Any ideas? 2000 SVT. Thanks in advance.

....... my book says fuel injection ECU. Could be the injector harness .

You could try unplugging stuff, one at a time, that is connected to the ECU (coil for instance) and see if the fuse survives

You could start with the 3 plugs on the rear cam cover .... that will narrow the search quite quickly ..... G.

3 plugs look fine. Here's another bit of info I found out last night. I turned the engine over with a ratchet, just to make sure it didn't lock up on me. After doing so, the engine tried to turn ovet for a split second, before it blew the fuse. Crank sensor? Cam sensor? After doing that one time, it's back to not turning over at all. Thanks for your help.

... I meant unplug the three plugs one at a time to see if anything downstream is causing the overcurrent.

Yes those items are connected to the ECU. Dig the ECU out and check it's clean and dry.

Can't recommend getting a workshop manual enough ... saved me so much grief in the past ....G.

Out of the 3 plugs over there, there is a small and large black plug and a large grey plug. When I unplug the large black plug, it doesn't blow the fuse. Time to start tracking down some wires. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions as to what all that controls?

.......it might help if you post up the colors of the wires on the plug.

I have a European spec. car so my colors are different. .... someone on the forum will recognize or know.

It's likely the insulation on the wires has dried out and crumbled, causing a short.

In the past guys have had to replace the engine harness., you may be able to repair it

Personally, I would get a used harness , swap out the damaged one and repair it at my leisure... depends if you need your car ASAP...... ...G.

I'm currently trying to find the wiring diagram in my Haynes repair manual. Hopefully, it will lead me in the right direction. I knew some harnesses would crumble, but I was thinking they got most of them fixed by 2000. If this manual doesn't help me out, I will post up some wire colors. Thanks again for your help.

Make sure the main wire that runs to your starter and battery isn't cut or touching the EGR pipe... Mine did the same thing and kept blowing fuses until I found that out after ripping half my engine compartment apart..

looking at my car ...

I did notice that one black plug had 14 or so wires and the other had about 7. The colors may be different but I doubt the wiring routing is different.

How many wires are there thru the plug which causes the short ? ....G.

I did find it. Sorry that I haven't been back on here in a long time. There is a plug in that comes off of the coil pack that plugs into a little black box that is something to do with the radio. I can't remember what it is called. The wire had pulled out. I tried to just put a connector on the wire and "ground" it under one of the bolts for the coil pack. That didn't help. Just kept blowing fuses. Finally just unplugged it completely. No effect on the radio and haven't blown anymore fuses. Crazy that something so simple could cause you to be towed in.

Back