Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a Bad Alternator Keep Blowing Fuses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScotSHO View Post

You can test the cables to see if there is any connection to chassis ground, for instance disconnect the alt positive cable from the battery and the alternator. It should be "floating" now, and it should show no resistance to ground (resistance of infinity on a volt meter). You can also "megger" a wire, but the test equip to do that can get pricey. If there is a question of compromised insulation, then I would just run new copper wires with good insulation.
    Thank you

Comment

Update, I got the new alt installed (a bit tough, but not half as bad as I was thinking it would be thanks to ceg) and as soon as I got the old one out I knew why it was blowing fuses...it was so broken up inside the alt just a small shake of it and it was all rattling around in there! I'm sure that was causing the short that was blowing the 7.5a fuse. The strange thing is it did not make that much noise when it was on the car. I even had a screwdriver on it and to my ear and could just hear a slight humming noise which I did not know if that was normal or not. She's running good now, despite the fact that the day I fixed it and drove it to work, my boss backed into the driver's side fender and mirror :\ onto the next fix.....

Comment

Originally posted by Contourado View Post
        Update, and as soon as I got the old one out I knew why it was blowing fuses...it was so broken up inside the alt just a small shake of it and it was all rattling around in there! I'm sure that was causing the short that was blowing the 7.5a fuse. The strange thing is it did not make that much noise when it was on the car......
        .... if you still have the old one ..... open it up.

Sounds like the brush box or VR . If the bearings had gone and caused the rotor to run out of true and hit the windings together, you would have heard it.

If it is just the brushes or VR, you now have an easily repaired spare sitting on the shelf ....G
        ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

Comment

Working...
        X