• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior heating stopped working.

Chris@CTA

Veteran CEG'er
My SVT has been parked for the last 2 years. When I took out the last couple of days, I noticed that no heat was coming from the vents.

Blower is working, dial turned to full heat. Today it started working for a while then stopped again. Does anyone know where the heating valve is located, in case I have to replace it. I hope to heck that it isn't under the dash cause if it is, I guess I'll have to live with no heat. This is one of those items that you really never expect to fail, especially when it isn't being used that often.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Did a little research and it seems that there is a temperature control door and actuator, and, the actuator might be failing or failed.

If this part has failed, it's just another common Ford part that shows that these cars were never built to last forever. 😂

There is no heater 'valve', the heater cores get full flow of water 100% of the time. Rather, they shut a door to prevent heat from getting into the rest of the airbox there. Your door is not working. The controls used to hardly ever fail but you have missed the recent Ford intentional input on such things now.

If you think these cars break parts, you should get a Focus, they completely blow Contours away with breakages of endless sorts and way before time. I have both and ultimately why I have left Ford as my brand for the last 35 years.

Was going to suggest checking the coolant level, as very low coolant can starve the loop to the heater core. Also, there is no valve in the heater core loop, coolant flows there all the time.

Blend door actuator or the blend door potentiometer (variable resistor temp control knob) in the dash, either can be the cause of faulty temp blend door operation.

There's some good troubleshooting info in this thread.
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/gen...495-my-ventilation-fresh-air-is-hot-as-blazes

Appreciate the replies. Wondering why many Ford parts websites show an available valve?

In any case, I totally get it about the temperature "blend" door and actuator. Searched and found a YouTube video regarding the location and replacement of the actuator. Seems to be the most likely cause so I'll start there and also check the power and resistance at the electrical connector.

Thanks folks.

'Was going to suggest checking the coolant level, as very low coolant can starve the loop to the heater core.'

A good and very valid point, it DOES do that on these. The first sign your plastic tank is empty. They constant flow most of the heater cores now as it stops most of them from clogging up from sediment far longer.

Back