• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trouble going into first gear

Johnvosh

New CEG'er
Hello everyone. I've got a 1998 contour lx with the 2.5l and 5 speed manual transmission. I am finding that to get into first I have to go into 2nd first or it clashes/grinds. Even if I'm at a stop light for a couple minutes not depressing the clutch and in neutral and then go to put it into first gear I have to do the same thing. The car has 220,000 km's on it. Could the synchro be going? It is kind of annoying. Or if I'm coming to a stop and need to go into first because 2nd is to high of a gear I have to be stopped or it will grind going into gear.

I don't have a lot of money right now so just looking for options on how to fix this if it is possible. Thanks!

Check shift cable end. If that looks okay, try to adjust cables. If that is adjusted then it's the trans.

Also bleed the clutch to ensure it isn't dragging.

Sorry, but I have no idea how to bleed the clutch. I don't think it's dragging? I have noticed that I don't have to depress it fully to shift clean and smooth between the gears, so I'm guess that means it must be getting worn down. Sorry, I've only owned 4 manual trans vehicles ('03, '05 cavalier & '13 mustang GT oh and '10 Cobalt) and have never had to replace or bleed a clutch. Is it hard to do? I did notice it shares the reservoir with the brakes, weird as my other vehicles is was always separate.

Check shift cable end. If that looks okay, try to adjust cables. If that is adjusted then it's the trans.

I am guessing I would find this on the top of the transmission? I think I'm going to have to get myself a Hanes manual. It's an okay car for $850, but does have it quirks. Also found I need to replace the AC dryer/accumulator as when I put in one of those self recharge kits, it would show pressure and sound like the compressor was kicking in, but it didn't and I could hear a hissing sound coming from that area.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!

Thanks so much for those links, I will try and check them out on my car this weekend. You guys are all awesome, thanks for your help.

I can normally do a decent amount when it comes to fixing my vehicles, but there are somethings I am still not familiar with.

Back