• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

non starting svt

tomsvt

New CEG'er
Hey Everyone,

My 2000CVT is messing with me. About a year ago it would not start. Towed it to the mechanic and it started for him. He said he could not find a problem because it started.

Runs fine when it starts. A few months ago, same thing. Would not start. A couple days later, fires right up, runs great.

Friday, would not start. Sunday it did, ran fine. Attempted to take it to work today, started, run about a mile and a half and died. Would not start, pushed it off the road, it started. Drove home. Now I am afraid to drive it.

Any ideas, other than find a new mechanic.

Thank you, Tom

hi tom

When this happened to me.... it was the three plugs on the side of the rear cam cover.

I used thin zip ties to squeeze the two halves of each plug together and hold them tight.

That was 2 years ago and it's fired up first time every time since

worth checking .....G.

.... next time the motor turns over but won't fire up ..... check ALL the spark plugs to see if they are wet and report back

This is important information .... if you go out in the car ... take tools to remove a spark plug to check this.... G.

Either find a new mechanic or leave the car with him so a scan be run when it starts and drives even for a short time. A good pro level/Dealer level tool will be able to read a lot of helpful info like fuel trim, spark and sensor voltage. It may even take a few trips. IMO sounded like he copped out on doing some true troubleshooting . sensor voltage could be fine then drop off for various reasons and shut off the car just for starters. there are so many connections/sensors even on a 17y/o car you could go broke chasing it. Get someone who will put the effort into doing a proper troubleshoot get the info and go from there, you may or may not want to tackle it but it will save you so much in the end.

Ran good when picked up. Began to run like crap. Missing, not revving smoothly. Changed fuel filter, wow! Could not believe how black the gas was. Also, a lot of dirt in it. Ran fine on a shakedown run. Hopefully better days are ahead.

I did begin to change the plugs. The front bank was dry. Did not do the back yet. The auto parts store sold me 2 AP764 instead of APP764's. doh!

Not one mention of battery condition and could all be that and nothing more.Or simply cable condition.

Back