• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission Problem

98Contoured

New CEG'er
Well, it's one problem after another. It's a '98 SE 2.0 with ATX. It's been running good but it was sitting in the driveway for a week because of the radiator fan problem. I finally replaced it today so I took it for a test drive. I noticed the transmission was having a hiccup. Drove it for about 10 miles. Was stopped at an intersection and when the light turned green, she would not go. So I'm here stuck right now waiting for a tow truck. If I put it on reverse, it feels like shifting but it won't go either. I noticed a hose earlier coming from the top of the transmission housing all rotted and I don't where the other end connects to coz it's just hanging there. I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo17896.jpg
    photo17896.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Okay so I guess that tube is just a vent so the other end does not connect anywhere. Finally got the car towed home. Luckily, it was less than a mile from home so it was free towing with AAA. I was able to limp it in reverse up the driveway but it will not go forward on any gear at all. I should add that the O/D light didn't blink. That O/D switch has not worked in a long time and I never really did anything with it. You guys think the transmission is gone?

I don't own an auto trans but there are some obvious checks you could do while you are waiting for some help.

What is the trans fluid level.
What color is the trans fluid
When was the last time the filter was changed

This info should help someone eliminate some possibilities... G.

Past that the trans is likely junk, they are well known for doing it. There is a problem with a drum in there that breaks up in pieces and you describe the symptoms perfectly. Car drives fine then suddenly it doesn't with zero real warning other than just before you lose all movement it will exhibit goofy shifting and such just before it goes, that slight warning is when pieces of that drum break off to grind up in the rest of trans and then the entire thing quits pulling.

There is no filter to change in that trans, the CD4E, the filter cannot be accessed except with the trans cases split open. That hose is indeed the vent.

Be glad yours didn't fail like mine, which locked up at 70 mph on a freeway for a second or so with no warning at all, the goofy shifting thing I spoke of. Then in the next 30 seconds I lost all car movement when the trans died. I rebuilt mine back in '07 and it still runs fine today but not economical to do those as the damage is usually quite extensive. The tranny shops have utter fits getting them right too, it being a difficult trans to build correctly. I generally rebuild all my ATX when needed and that one was the most expensive to do by far, the average person would not be able to do that due to the cost of a LOT of parts, there being no small damage amount due to the way they break.

Go to youtube and search with 'CD4E', you'll find out how bad they break from vids there.

Thanks for the confirmation. Saw the vids on YouTube and looks pretty extensive. I don't think I can DIY this trans rebuild.
To amc49, you mentioned you rebuild them yourself. Any idea or ballpark what it would cost to get it done at a shop? If the cost is astronomical, I might just finally get rid of it. Seems a waste though since the engine runs great and it still looks good. I got this car brand new in '98 and was hoping my daughter can drive it. She's just learning now. Thanks for your reply.

That trans issue is what puts MANY of them in the scrapyards as the engines (at least the four) go easily to very often well over 200K miles.

My cost back in '07 was well over $600 in parts alone and bought at trans shop vendor pricing, no way can you buy that cheap say online. I figure with the completeness of the job I did it would cost the normal guy at least $3k alone but then I do that good a quality of work. No way will you get that amount of detail out of a normal shop environment and why they fail so many, I saw even client Ford dealerships we had when I was in parts, they were having to rebuild them over and over on the same vehicles when they tore up as soon as driven. Beware the shop idiot who says he can do the entire R&R for $1500-$2000, he is telling you he is too stupid to do that one. The trans demands an expert, you don't simply throw a bunch of parts at one like in the old days. The high cost of parts was because when that drum breaks it is a drum inside another drum and that inside even another, the parts coming loose literally grind up into much smaller pieces doing that then they tear up everything else. I bought at least 5 different drums and intentionally kept a 6th one in that looked like a bomb went off inside it just as a personal joke to myself and to befuzzle anybody who might get the car after me.

Yes, a waste like owning a Focus with the SPI engine in it that tears up often way early to ruin everything as well. Ford is building crap and unlike the old days when they used to try to improve major issues like that they now simply let them continue to break as it sells far more parts and cars to do so. Just witness all the thousands of DCT Powershift cars made since '12 that they endlessly put clutches and modules in over and over yet nothing fixes the issues.

Why I have jumped to another brand after being a Ford person for 35 years and a long stream of them. You can see it get worse and worse and I'm done with that now. The cars are now being designed to break what I call nuisance items, the ones you endlessly change or don't and they then pile up to make you want another new car. Look at the new parts right out of the box, you can usually tell ahead of time where they will break now and wait till it happens and you see you were right. I can't count how many times that's happened. I recently counted a failure rate on one of my Focus cars when dared to and came up with more than 50 separate breakages on a '02 model car. Utterly ridiculous, the cars are junk, and the higher end ones are no better, they use the same crap parts predestined to break.

That trans issue is what puts MANY of them in the scrapyards as the engines (at least the four) go easily to very often well over 200K miles.

My cost back in '07 was well over $600 in parts alone and bought at trans shop vendor pricing, no way can you buy that cheap say online. I figure with the completeness of the job I did it would cost the normal guy at least $3k alone but then I do that good a quality of work. No way will you get that amount of detail out of a normal shop environment and why they fail so many, I saw even client Ford dealerships we had when I was in parts, they were having to rebuild them over and over on the same vehicles when they tore up as soon as driven. Beware the shop idiot who says he can do the entire R&R for $1500-$2000, he is telling you he is too stupid to do that one. The trans demands an expert, you don't simply throw a bunch of parts at one like in the old days. The high cost of parts was because when that drum breaks it is a drum inside another drum and that inside even another, the parts coming loose literally grind up into much smaller pieces doing that then they tear up everything else. I bought at least 5 different drums and intentionally kept a 6th one in that looked like a bomb went off inside it just as a personal joke to myself and to befuzzle anybody who might get the car after me.

Yes, a waste like owning a Focus with the SPI engine in it that tears up often way early to ruin everything as well. Ford is building crap and unlike the old days when they used to try to improve major issues like that they now simply let them continue to break as it sells far more parts and cars to do so. Just witness all the thousands of DCT Powershift cars made since '12 that they endlessly put clutches and modules in over and over yet nothing fixes the issues.

Why I have jumped to another brand after being a Ford person for 35 years and a long stream of them. You can see it get worse and worse and I'm done with that now. The cars are now being designed to break what I call nuisance items, the ones you endlessly change or don't and they then pile up to make you want another new car. Look at the new parts right out of the box, you can usually tell ahead of time where they will break now and wait till it happens and you see you were right. I can't count how many times that's happened. I recently counted a failure rate on one of my Focus cars when dared to and came up with more than 50 separate breakages on a '02 model car. Utterly ridiculous, the cars are junk, and the higher end ones are no better, they use the same crap parts predestined to break.

I agree completely..
Sadly its a know issue and what really killed the mystique/contour as a whole..but dont worry,ford uses this terrible transmission in the escape/mariner setup..hence why so many of those are dead..

I went to Arrow Transmission in Richmond VA and asked for a ballpark. I was told $2500-$3500 but they won't know until they look at it. Given the symptoms and the fact that alot have had the same problem which indeed turned out to be the tranny, I think my car is worst case scenario. I hate to say it but I will be getting rid of it. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

What do you consider low mileage? I've seen a few '98s in the junkyard and they all have over 100k miles on them. Mine has over 163k and to me that's low. I've seen some '96s, '97s '99s, and 2000s but i don't know if they are compatible. And, how do i find out if it was not the transmission that put them in there in the first place?

Mine tore up at 120K and no hard driving on it at all. There IS a modded drum that does not break but most trans shops are unaware of it and I drove my distributor crazy until they came up with one for me. Can't say if Ford ever used them or not. Most trans shops likely just sell a rebuild or rebuild themselves using a same old type part that hasn't broken yet. Meaning any rebuild could break in minutes again, same with a junkyard one that has lots of use on it but not broke yet. The distributor I used sold so-called 'rebuilt' drums (how one thinks he can rebuild a simple drum I have no idea) and they tried a hardsell on me trying to shut me up, but just handling it right there at the parts desk I was able to crack big chunks of the end off to show them exactly what I was talking about. Using only my FINGERS. That one was pretty funny.

There is really no way to tell in a junkyard, the trans oil can be very clean with no metal in it as the magnet in the case is killer and catches the trash.

So no junkyard transmission for me. If they're not broken, they're practically ticking time bombs. And per amc49, even the rebuilt ones are if they use the same old type part.
I did look at AAMCO's website. They have really good warranty but I bet that costs a pretty penny.

Back