• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 Contour SE with the 2.5 V6/Auto trans

Contour58

Be Gentle I'm New Here
.OK, thanks for the ideas. A few issues have arisen recently: 1) The directional lever on the steering column does not "click off" readily upon return of the steering wheel to the straight ahead position after a vehicle turn has been completed. Does the lever need to be replaced, lubricated? 2) I have some steering wheel wobble at slow speeds or when accelerating hard. Tires?

directional lever?? you mean turn signal?

tires, or inner/outer tie rod ends. jack it up, grab it at 9am and 3pm and see if it shakes, and then grab it at 12pm and 6pm and see if it wobbles.

directional lever?? you mean turn signal?

tires, or inner/outer tie rod ends. jack it up, grab it at 9am and 3pm and see if it shakes, and then grab it at 12pm and 6pm and see if it wobbles.

Overall Id say an alignment.

Turn signals, yes. The signal stays on after making the turn (either direction). I concur on the alignment...probably wait for replacement 16" SVT alloys and 205 tires. Possibly obvious question: Do the '98-'00 SVT OEM wheels fit over the brake drums in the rear on the SE? Thanks.

yes they do. and an you can upgrade your rims later and still benefit from an alightment. new rims wont mean a new alignment

I second ith Satya is saying :)

take a #2 phillips and take the cover off that hides the 4/way switch, turn signal switch, and windshield wipers level..

Both of the attach to the colum with a very positive "Click" there will be a small tab on the top the much be depressed to then remove the entire switch, straight up. (wipers or turn signals)

They make complete replacements..:)

Back