• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ignition Key

intravino

CEG'er
Hello Gang,.

I'm having problems with turning the Ignition Key when the steering is lock.

It is hard to turn the key, I don't think it is the key.

Is there a way to disable the steering lock?

Thanks,

Disabling the ignition steering lock would be a major dis-assembly of the steering column.

Have you tried lightly turning the steering wheel one way or another while twisting the key? Usually turning the wheel lightly will unload any binding if the steering interlock was engaged in between the individual locking detents around the wheel's rotation.

Bingo Gmorrell, hit it on the head.

All 4 of my contours do this at steering lock, if u don't release said pressure u can't even turn the key forward..!! ugh!!

Also if u have trouble removing the key from the Lock cylinder itself, tryin putting a bit of inward pressure then remove the key itself (like a fuel line)

If so it may be getting close to new lock cylinder time. The tumblers get worn and then lube helps but only to a point.

If so it may be getting close to new lock cylinder time. The tumblers get worn and then lube helps but only to a point.

I was just going to suggest this. I had my ignition cylinder slowly lock up. I could turn it to run but not start. Ended up replacing it with a used one and it has been ok since.

Back