• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intermittent running issue/coil wiring

gt350pilot

New CEG'er
Hello everbody. Hoping that somebody might be able to help.
I have an intermittent issue with my 98 CSVT. It will sometimes die while running and not re-fire or will not start at all. I have fuel pressure but no spark at the plugs. Checked the plug for the coil pack and have power at both on and starting position at the PURPLE/BLACK wire. I have looked online for a wiring diagram to try to figure out if the other 3 wires are grounds or triggers but all the diagrams I have found online show 3 wires and not the 4 that I have.
My plug has the following colors.

​BROWN/GREEN
​BROWN/YELLOW
​BROWN/BLUE
PURPLE/BLACK

​Also, anybody else ever have an intermittent coil pack issue? I don't like to just replace parts so I am trying to confirm the wiring at the coil plug, thus the above question.

​Thanks in advance for the help and Merry Christmas!

Seeinjg as it's a 98. If you could confirm it's build date it's extremely likely the wiring harness insulation is failing.

Build date is August 97. I know that this failure is possible with this car but would like to confirm that it is a wiring issue and not a bad coil pack by getting a diagram. To this point I have had zero electrical issues and everything works on the car so I am hoping my good luck continues.

Oh yeah, it's a wiring harness. The coil pack is nearly bullet proof.

Start peeling back the tape!

I would still like to see a wiring diagram so that I could determine where the coil pack plug wires terminate so that I can do a continuity test to confirm the wire. If anybody has a copy of the wiring diagram I would really appreciate it.

As this is my DD I need to try to fix ASAP. I sent a PM to SVTTOUR so hopefully he will have a freshened up harness available and I can swap that in.

the purple and black wire is the power and the other 3 wires are the coil trigger wires. 1/4 2/5 3/6. I replied to your pm

One wire supplies power to the coils, the other 3 triggers are actually grounds, the PCM grounds each as needed for ignition.

Thank you everybody. I did get it fixed but it required a new (refurbished) harness. Thankfully it is back on the road and getting new struts and suspension soon. Still keeping it on the road!

Back