• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1998 CSVT loosing power and dieing.

Con2er

CEG'er
I have a 1998 CSVT that has been running great for the 12+ years I have had it. There was an issue with it dieing and not able to restart without messing with the floorboard fuse box. Usually I could give it a little kick to keep it running. Pulling the engine management fuse and putting it back in gave me 1+ years of worry free operation.

Today I was on my way home I noticed it was dropping power. I was giving it steady throttle and it would cut out/lose power and come right back. This issue came on fast today and I barely made it home. Now it will start and run for a while in my driveway, but eventually sputter and die. The fuse problem would kill it outright, so it's not related. I replaced the fuel filter at 133K.

I am assuming a fuel problem and I'm actually thinking it's the fuel pump, which as far as I know is original and I'm hitting 230K miles. I have also dealt with some harness issues and suspect it might be part of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Back