• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX support mounts 96 zetec

intravino

CEG'er
Hi Guys,

I brought my car to a driveway mechanic near my house to change the drivers side CV joint and he refused to do the job because he said that Front transmission mount is weak.

I've attached the of the MTX, do you think it is too low ?

Is this something that is doable without a lift?

Thanks.

If it is in contact with the subframe then there is most likely an issue with the transmission mount. Do note that the clearance is fairly close.

Thanks BrApple,

If I change the CV joint myself and leave the transmission mount, will it decrease the life of the CV joint?

I need to change the joint because the boot is off.

If the CV joint isn't damaged from being exposed for too long, you can pull the shaft and re-boot it, if you have the tools and the talent.
It's becoming difficult to find shops that will rebuild/re-boot half-shafts now because aftermarket rebuilt half-shafts (hecho en China...), are so inexpensive, and the shops can't rebuild a half-shaft and cover P&L for what a complete rebuilt unit costs.
So honestly, just replace the whole half-shaft and fix the broken-down engine and trans mounts when you can, as the less the trans moves around, the longer the CV joints will last.

You just have to look at them and see how badly they're collapsed.
It's sort of a progressive disease, as one mount goes bad, it puts additional stress on the other mounts and roll resistors.
The mounts on the front and rear of the lower part of the manual trans are called roll resistors, and they do less to actually support the trans and more to keep it from rolling axially in the engine compartment.
There is a big mount on top of the driver's end of the transaxle, you have to pull the battery and battery tray to get a clear view of it, they do go bad, tho infrequently, these are very hard to find for the MTX cars, the ATX upper trans mounts are more common, because the 4-cylinder ATX cars were more common.
You will want to look at your mounts and see if you can find suitable replacements at Rockauto, which is probably the last game in town for these parts, unless you can find some old stock at one of the chain auto parts stores.
Good luck, parts for 22 year old cheap cars are a real challenge to find.

Thanks GMorrell for your answer.

I called a Ford Dealer to get the Ford Part # to get a cross reference and he told me it is F5RZ-6068-B.

I can find a new Ford part on eBay F5RZ-6068-A instead but I cannot tell what is the difference.

It there a way to find the difference ?

Thanks,

[h=1][/h]

A to B would be a minor revision in the mount, maybe a vendor change, but it shouldn't affect form, fit or function.
I looked up that part on eBay, and there seem to be some good pictures, I'd pull the battery and battery tray and see how it visually compares to the mount in your car.
If it's the right part, hard to go wrong for $40 shipped.

Back