• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior water leak

Pepsibottle1

CEG'er
What started as both driver and passenger side footwells leaking has turned into the driver's side seat being drenched on the side closest to the door and the rear driver's side also wet

Have blown sunroof drains and door drains out. Have straightened a kinked door seal on passenger side door. Usually appears as a river running over the bottom of the door seal into the bottom of foot wells. Sunroof has been known to leak only barely when through car wash...ceiling is completely dry....the window seals on both front doors are gross but would they really allow water to leak this bad?

Please assist I am afraid of water damage as it is supposed to rain all week....

I would recommend dropping the headliner and take a look at everything. THis was my problem - 2 out of 4 hoses were disconnected. The rubber shrinks and gets really hard. I hose clamped all of them to keep them attached and sealed...

42855696135_8a167079bc_h.jpg

41951420860_64cfa96a63_h.jpg

Looking at those pictures makes me so glad I dealer ordered my SVT Contour with no sunroof. My car has zero water leaks at 19 years and 135,XXX miles.
Pepsibottle, every time I've heard about leak issues like yours, and unless you have body rust, holes in the floor pan sheet metal, clogged door drains, or missing/damaged door gaskets, they track back to sunroof drain problems.

Sunroofs are a hit and miss sometimes. My roof has never leaked in the 18 years I have had another car that did. It can be from loose or disconnected hoses like ScotSHO stated, defect in the roof frame, worn sunroof seal.. I would dropped the headliner like already stated and first start by having someone run a garden hose over the roof when it closed while you sit inside to make sure the seal isn't letting in a lot of water either because it is worn or glass needs adjustment. If that is okay then have a helper pour a small amount of water at a time ( you can overwhelm the drains if you pour to much in ) and get a look. If the drains are clear and flowing water out to the ground and they are hooked up and not dry rotted and sunroof frame itself is okay and not letting water in through joints or cracks the next step is to find out why so much water is getting in that the drains cannot handle it.

In my case it turned out the sunroof gasket was bad and letting in so much water the drains could not handle it. The gasket isn't really hard to replace the pain is removing the glass. Mark it's location to help with getting it back close to where it was. good luck.

Back