• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0340 and P0455 in rebuilt motor

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Just had my motor rebuilt (3L Hybrid) with forged internals, etc, and been driving about 250 miles so far. Been taking it pretty easy, and it has been running great. Just got a CEL yesterday and those codes came up. Camshaft position sensor and EVAP system leak, from what I'm reading.

I'm curious if anyone has any idea if/how the two could be related, as it doesn't seem they would be. Car still runs fine. Nothing really out of the ordinary. The shop did put in a new fuel pump, so they dropped the gas tank for that. But I haven't seen or smelled any leaking gas. Gas cap is plenty tight, but I suppose could have just "gone bad?" CEL came on at startup, not while driving. Seems random.

Thoughts?

The evap code might be from the seal on the fuel pump assembly. Those can leak and cause the code to come up. Also if any of the hoses to the evap canister are worn, it will cause the code as well.

The p0340 is a separate issue. It may be the sensor signal is not getting to the ECM or the sensor signal is not what the computer is wanting to see. Put a new sensor and wheel on and see if it is ok.

Not uncommon to flaw old evap hoses when dropping a tank.

The two codes are not related.

If cam code then the cam is likely the 'wheel' there and no changing that. The harness connector can be just as bad as the sensor, in fact, new engine says the entire harness could have damage at some minor point as it was moved around.

Well oddly the CEL went off on it's own before I had a chance to swap the sensor. Not sure if I should expect it to come back on, or what. Car is running well.

Back