• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yet Another No Start

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
This is something new for me. I have a 2000 CSVT, E1, 250K miles. To date it has run pretty flawlessly. Recently, I installed some sound deadening matting in the drivers door, which put the car out of use for a few months. As a result, it hasnt been driven at all in the last month or so. After externally charging the battery, I attempted to start this last Friday. The car will crank, but no start. The starter definitely seems to be turning, and I dont hear anything like a missing tooth (no grinding). I tried jump starting it, but exactly the same thing happened.

The car has been in the garage all this time, so I cant think it would be air or spark problems (never had this problem before). There is gas in the tank, although it sat for a while. The fuel pump fuse is ok (#9). When I hooked up a reader, there are no codes showing.

So, I am guessing something in the fuel system. Yesterday, I added a bottle of injector cleaner in case the fuel had separated out or taken in water - no change. When I advance the key in the ignition, I cant hear the fuel pump going, but to be honest, I dont think I could ever hear it.

Should my next step be to take the rear cushion off and listen for the pump going ? Otherwise, I would need a fuel pressure gauge (which I dont have) to see if fuel is actually moving ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

you dont need to move the seat entirely. just push your hand under the cushion until you feel a rubber circle then turn the key, you should feel a slight vibration.

key to on position, you should use the fuel pressure tester under the hood. if it doesnt squirt you in the face the fuel pump is going or gone.

A slow, careful, underhood visual check is first, make sure everything is plugged in, connectors are fully mated, etc. Cycle (un-mate, mate) the connectors you can access easily. I've unplugged things and forgotten about it, then had to troubleshoot my forgetfulness.

Your next check should be for fuel pressure at key-on. Autozone and other auto parts stores will rent you a fuel pressure gauge for minimal $.

In-tank fuel pumps sometimes die when the car is parked and un-started for a long time, don't know why, maybe they get lonely. Pull the rear seat and check the electrical connector at the fuel pump access plate, these connectors are known to fail and burn their pins, making for a non-running fuel pump.

Despite all the computers, sensors and actuators, basic internal combustion engine physics still applies: Fuel, air, and spark; if any one of these is missing, there is no fire.:wink:

OK, I took the cushion out, pulled up the rubber seal and made sure the electrical connector looked clean (it does). I used some canned air to make sure both ends were clean. I don't hear or feel anything when I advance the key or try a start. So, I still need to inspect the engine bay, but after that it looks like a fuel pressure gauge is the next step.

This is not the original fuel pump. About 7 years ago the original one started to die so I had it replaced.

thanks,

Mad Dog

I took a quick look and the valve for the pressure gauge is right under the throttle body ? The fuel filter should be on the underbody, right ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

'In-tank fuel pumps sometimes die when the car is parked and un-started for a long time, don't know why, maybe they get lonely.'

If they use ethanol in your local fuel it gives the pumps hell. They can go bad in a few months from new like that if car not steadily driven to keep the fuel fresh. If your evap is not all tight and sealed the fuel can separate in 24 hours, I use it for cleaning parts and water shows up in 5 minutes like that on a humid day. I've pulled a brand new pump out of a Contour before that sat then for 8 months, the pump looked like it had been dumped in acid.

At the risk of sounding stupid, would an easy indication of fuel pressure be just to momentarily open the schrader valve and see if fuel sprays out ?

Mad Dog

Im trying to understand the factory manual or my Haynes manual, but I cant find a simple answer as to which pins on the fuel pump power cable head should read what voltage. Does anyone know this off hand ? So far it looks like the fuel pump isnt giving anything. I tried first position, tried to turn it over, and with a jump. Not a thing on the gauge. Next step is to make sure the pump is getting power.

thnaks,

Mad Dog

Speak of the devil, it must be fuel pump season. My 8mo old Carter pump just took a dump on me last week

Check Pin 3 for power at key on and crank.

fm00ev321_70007-00-038a_svg

I get 12V to ground from pin 3 on position 1,momentarily. The voltage then drops. I assume this is the priming ?

When I took the pressure gauge off the schrader value, some fuel did leak out, but there is no spray. If the fuel filter is completely clogged, would this fit the symptoms ? I suspect the fuel filter is the original one (250K miles on it).

thanks,

Mad Dog

Im waffling, arent I ? I really don't want to have to replace the fuel pump, but it appears I will have no choice. Now I have to decide to drop the fuel tank or cut up the bodywork near the access port. Why didn't they make the damn thing large enough ?!?!?!?

Mad Dog

Back