• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery grounds & that metal plate!!! Question about consolidation?

tonyankyfan1

CEG'er
Hi guys-

Over the weekend had to replace my battery and noticed the battery terminal connectors are pretty old. What are some of the types of terminal connectors that anyone here upgraded to or utilized? I also would like to know if its ok, to consolidate the 3 thin (14-16 gauge) ground wires that are connected to the triangular metal plate? What are some thoughts and maybe pics, if anyone can share with me. Would be great!!!

Thanks Anthony

For later years all of the wires attach to the battery terminal itself, the plate is no longer used. So any aftermarket terminal that allows for the other wires to be conencted should work fine.

No Title

Here is mine. A bit hard to see (next to the custom intake I had to fabricate from scratch) but on each terminal are 2 large ring terminals that hold the wiring together. On the negative terminal I chose to replace the entire harness with one I had built, it is 2 large (0 gauge) cables for engine and body ground. Positive side are the 4 smaller wires to the BJB to the battery and the other one is the 0 gauge starter cable.

The intake is my version of custom oem, The cone is what I chose to make (same size as OEM) and the MAF is stock, with the filter plate with the AIT sensor attached to it.

Attachments

• photo18322.jpg
    photo18322.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
You can change the battery terminal area up any way you want, I typically use the oldschool lead terminals that use two bolts to hold the cable in under a plate and the two bolts can then each have leads bolted under them to hold more circuits in place. The main thing to consider is the cross-section of the lugs that bolt under the smaller bolts, they need to be thick enough to carry the current there. I have even changed the basic battery to get one much cheaper than the specific one the car calls for, a savings of close to $50. I built in a little more cable slack to be able to go to different battery sizes and post configurations, I tend to make one battery fit more than one car to be able to swap around in case of emergency.

Here is mine. A bit hard to see (next to the custom intake I had to fabricate from scratch) but on each terminal are 2 large ring terminals that hold the wiring together. On the negative terminal I chose to replace the entire harness with one I had built, it is 2 large (0 gauge) cables for engine and body ground. Positive side are the 4 smaller wires to the BJB to the battery and the other one is the 0 gauge starter cable.

The intake is my version of custom oem, The cone is what I chose to make (same size as OEM) and the MAF is stock, with the filter plate with the AIT sensor attached to it.

WOW!!!! Awesome job!!!!! Thanks for the tips and pics!!! Greatly appreciate it!!!

You can change the battery terminal area up any way you want, I typically use the oldschool lead terminals that use two bolts to hold the cable in under a plate and the two bolts can then each have leads bolted under them to hold more circuits in place. The main thing to consider is the cross-section of the lugs that bolt under the smaller bolts, they need to be thick enough to carry the current there. I have even changed the basic battery to get one much cheaper than the specific one the car calls for, a savings of close to $50. I built in a little more cable slack to be able to go to different battery sizes and post configurations, I tend to make one battery fit more than one car to be able to swap around in case of emergency.

Thank you as well..... =)

Back