• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Locked keys in car

maddog440

CEG'er
My girlfriend locked the keys in her '95 Contour SE. It's got power locks and windows. Anybody know the best way to shimmy the lock?

I've never tried a slim jim in these cars.

However, if you really get stuck, it might be time to see if you've got glass coverage. You could always go in through the windshield. :)

Do you have AAA services?

They unlocked mine in about 5 mins after they showed up.

They wedged an inflatable air bag in edge of the door and pumped it a little bit to push the door outward. Then they took the tool and slipped it between the door and pushed the button towards unlock.

Breaking glass is out of the question, and I don't have AAA. I've used a piece of wire from a coathanger a few times before on other cars and unlocked them within 5 mins. This one isn't so easy. I know it is possible, but I monkeyed around for 1/2 hour with no luck. I am unsure of the mechanism in the door. Usually I make a hook with a wire, slide it between the weatherstripping and glass, and pull up around the doorlock area. This isn't working. Do I need a flat piece of metal and push down?

While I won't show drawings, or diagrams with detail in it (legality of it) I will say that a forked piece of metal with downward pressure will work. right about EVEN with the handle, but almost to the bottom of the door.

Take a small plastic binder (like a 1 inch plastic binder for school) and shove it down between the window trip and the glass.

it will hold the trim out enough to be able to SEE what you are doing and won't scratch the glass at all.

Last edited:
kick the back window out like a crasy person thats what id do LOL did

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Try pulling the door out at the top and putting something in to wedge it there. Use a long piece of metal bent to push the unlock button.

I haven't tried this on a contour, but it worked on other cars.

handle is hard to grab and lock button is hard to push
wedge door and hook the trunk release with coat hanger and go that way
shouldnt be to difficult

I know the unlock button would be pretty hard to push, but I never thought about going for the trunk release. Can you fold the seat forward from the trunk? I know that the release for the seat is there, but I thought you actually had to pull the seat forward from inside the passenger compartment for it to fold forward. I could be wrong though.

yes the seats swing forward but it doesn't matter if you pull (front the seat) or push (from the trunk) you would get the same effect ....

you can pull release in the trunk and push seat forward and crawl through this will be your easiest way

damn BrApple your fast...........well maybe im slow LOL

The cops used a rubber wedge, kinda like a door stop when trying to get the door open enough to hit my trunk release w/ hanger. The rubber prevented any damage, went in at teh top corner of the door.

Maybe I'll make a slim jim out of some scrap sheetmetal down in the proto shop after work and try as Ray suggested. I'll also try to find wire long and stiff enough to reach in behind the door and catch the trunk release. One of those two methods should work....I hope!!

I know you said you don't have AAA, but have you contacted your insurance company? Some plans include road side assistance. I would check your plan out to see if you have it before going through too much trouble to try a pry it open yourself.

I locked my keys in once (engine running, stupid alarm system) and the locksmith used a wire under the window and into the car and then pushed the unlock button with it. I thought it would never work in a million years but after about 10 minutes he got it.

Rodney Dangerfield said:
"You hear about the Polish guy that locked his keys in the car? Had to get a hanger to get his family out."
:laugh:

Back