• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking power steering fluid, please help

Hopefully this will help the next poor sap who has to replace these power steering fitting hose ends.

When I got the new fitting nuts today, I gave them a careful once-over. The sealing O-ring is at the top of the fitting, inside the hex, the snap ring that secures the nut to the tubing is at the bottom. This led me to think differently about how I planned to cut off the nut. I didn't want to split the nut long-ways and risk nicking the tubing under the hex, so I cut around the nut below the hex, then just split the end that I'd freed that has the locking ring inside. Once the locking ring end of the nut is gone, the hex/O-ring end just slides off.

Thanks for this post! I just had to do this and this method totally saved my buns. I tried to be so careful and still took a huge chunk out of that tube going into the pump but it didn't matter because it was before where the O ring seals. Buttoned it all up last night and no noise or leaks!

Glad I could help, glad it's not leaking, I hate leaks. We put men on the Moon in 1969, and we still can't keep vital fluids in automobile engines, sum ting wong...

This is a bear. I was still having a small leak after cool down and had to pull it apart for the 10th time im sure. It was leaking at the body where I had put a new fitting on like you. I really wrestled with it on top of the engine bay as I didnt want to take the chance of backing it out again. Muscled it together and no more leaks. I didnt bother with torque settings at this point. Geesh.

Dont mean to bring this back from the dead, but im about to reinstall my pump and i um.......kinda forgot which bolt goes where :( ive got 2 long and one short for holding the pump in place..anyone have a real diagram of bolt placement?

Back