• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0420 and P1519

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
These 2 codes keep coming back on my SVT. I have replaced all 4 O2s, and cleaned the intake. Installing MIL eliminators is not, IMO, the correct answer. I know the IMRC is working as i can rev it up and watch them open, I can also feel them kick in, although it seems a little late. I have also opened the IMRC box and everything looks fine inside.

I am about fed up with all the little :censored::censored::censored::censored: that's gone wrong and have debated about selling the car, unfortunately I cant afford anything else. I want more power anyways (i miss my turbo Zetec:cry:)

1). Dead or dying cat. O2 sensors are rarely (if ever) responsible.

2) Replace the IMRC box. The internal sensor switch that signals IMRC actuator position has probably failed.

where these mil eliminators the plug and play type or did you make them and splice them in? if so it sounds like they where made wrong as they are suppose to prevent the P0420 and P0430 codes.

I would also try replacing the irmc also. suggest a known good working used one for testing purposes first.

where these mil eliminators the plug and play type or did you make them and splice them in? if so it sounds like they where made wrong as they are suppose to prevent the P0420 and P0430 codes.

I would also try replacing the irmc also. suggest a known good working used one for testing purposes first.

He didn't try the MIL- eliminators, he actually wants to fix it!

You can open up the IMRC box and try cleaning the contacts on the position sensing switch. I touched mine up with some very fine (1000#) sand paper and got rid of my P1518 or P1519 DTC last year. The IMRC may be properly operating the actuators, but it is not able to report their position to the PCM so it complains.

Steve

Yes, i want to actually fix the problem thats causing the codes. I was thinking that it might be possible that IF the IMRC isnt actually working that it could be causing the P0420 if the CAT is a little weak. I drove it again last night after i posted and i did 2 runs, both in second gear from about 2K RPMS. while it did bump at about 4K, it wasnt as hard as i thought it should be. Now this is only the second SVT I've driven and the other one i never got on it so i dont know how hard its supposed to kick when the secondairies open, but by how everyone talks it sounds like it should be a pretty good kick.

I will try cleaning the contacts on the position sensing switch today. also, if i clear the codes they wont come back for a couple weeks, and they always come back together (the last time they came on was 2 weeks ago at the Dragon)

one last thing, anyone know what the warrenty is for CATs? for some reason i have 10/100,000 stuck in my mind but im not sure. if so then i guess i should get it to Ford quick, im sitting at 98,xxx right now :crazy:

I just opened up the IMRC and the first thing i noticed was that the metal tab thats supposed to push on the cam was spun all the way around to the back side of the cam, which could explain them not opening. so i pulled the board/motor cleaned the contacts, even though they looked fine, spun the gears until the tab was sitting against the spring and put it all back together. went for a test drive and it feels the exact same, a slight kick in 1st, bump in 2nd, nothing in 3rd or 4th (each time starting at 2K and going straight to WOT). when i turned around to come back i pulled off, opened the hood, reved the engine and watched as the IMRCs opend up just fine. :shrug:

Just for the hell of it i unplugged the IMRC and did the same runs again. while i didnt feel the bump in 1st and 2nd at ~4K like i normally do (which means they are working), it also didnt accelerate a whole lot slower than before. In fact it was almost the same. :nonono: Im gonna see if i can get Jim to drive it and see what he thinks about the power (or lack there of IMO)

Yes, i want to actually fix the problem thats causing the codes...one last thing, anyone know what the warrenty is for CATs? for some reason i have 10/100,000 stuck in my mind but im not sure. if so then i guess i should get it to Ford quick, im sitting at 98,xxx right now :crazy:

Ford set the parameters on the cat sensors a bit too narrowly, so they often will kick a code when nothing is wrong. P0420 codes are false far more often than not, so you run a good chance of not having a problem to fix. However, if the cat is becoming plugged, it's toast, and you'll notice a power drain because of it, as you know.

And emissions warranties are 8/80.

Just for the hell of it i unplugged the IMRC and did the same runs again. while i didnt feel the bump in 1st and 2nd at ~4K like i normally do (which means they are working), it also didnt accelerate a whole lot slower than before. In fact it was almost the same. :nonono: Im gonna see if i can get Jim to drive it and see what he thinks about the power (or lack there of IMO)

well that makes sense. the P1519 is for the imrc stuck open. so the top end should be the same but it will be a dog down low. it would feel like they where openning up when the timing is bumper at the open point and the airflow increases to support the secondaries.

well that makes sense. the P1519 is for the imrc stuck open. so the top end should be the same but it will be a dog down low. it would feel like they where openning up when the timing is bumper at the open point and the airflow increases to support the secondaries.

according to the list on the main site it shows a P1519 is both IMRC stuck open and closed :shrug: I know they are not stuck open or closed as i can watch them go from closed to open while revving the engine at the TB.

Just go get an IMRC at the JY. I think I can get one for $10 or $20.

except that i know the IMRC is opening. i can watch it open.

Back