• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery keeps discharging

PacificTourG

Veteran CEG'er
The other day I spent about 4 hours cleaning the inside of my car inside. When I was done, the battery was discharged from leaving the doors open so long. The battery would not charge again after I got a jump start. I bought a new battery and put it in. The car drove fine for a few hours and later on I noticed that the battery was discharging. After I turned off the car, I smelled a burning/smoke smell. The car does not start anymore.

Ever since I've had battery charging problems my speedo and odo haven't been working.

Zetec ATX 86k

Help!

Sounds more like a short if there is a burning smell. It is likely paint/corrosion/insulation burning from sparks. This one will be tricky.....

check the battery cables to make sure the positive and negative cables are on good and that they are not touching or exposed anywhere. check that the positive cable does not contact any metal. did you install the battery yourself?

Last edited:
check the battery cables to make sure the positive and negative cables are on good and that they are not touching or exposed anywhere. check that the positive cable does not contact any metal. did you install the battery yourself?

Good call. It is common for the insulation on the battery cables to melt together. Maybe yours are actually shorting out there. It's a start...

The battery cables are a little exposed, but it's been like that for a long time. I installed a new battery myself. No speedometer,odometer, or any indicator lights work. This all has happened since I first drained my battery. I want to mention again that I had a burning smell last time I shut off the car.

BTW

Where is the mega fuse on the Zetec and what does it look like? Also how do you test it to see if it's good?

I could be wrong, but I think you would need to take the air plenum off the TB to see, but that is a non-issue for you because you have a short-ram. It should be hovering behind the intake manifold, near the DPFE, IIRC. Follow the battery cables toward the alternator, and there is a small black box inline. I think you can pop it open and look to see if it is good.

I would recommend using your nose to identify where the burning smell is coming from... may find your issue there...

The battery cables are a little exposed, but it's been like that for a long time. I installed a new battery myself. No speedometer,odometer, or any indicator lights work. This all has happened since I first drained my battery. I want to mention again that I had a burning smell last time I shut off the car.

BTW

Where is the mega fuse on the Zetec and what does it look like? Also how do you test it to see if it's good?

make sure the exposed sections are not touching anything at all. its very possible in the process of moving the cables around with the battery install that one exposed section is now touching metal or another cable. inspect all cables for signs of burning, following the whole length of the cable. and if anything wrapped the exposed wire in electrical tape, though it would be best to replace them. you never know they may look ok but then could be contacting or arcing with the hood even.

also, check all your fuses and if one is burnt out, inspect all the cables that deal with that fuse or it could just burn out again.

Who has even had a megafuse go out? I don't know of anyone. I would think the only thing to cause it to go would be some stupid crazy stereo. Maybe a misbuilt alt. that is over charging.

Make sure to check all fuses.....

That way we eliminate one thing at a time so we can start zeroing in on the problem.

I was about to post from my phone earlier today but lost connection.

Megafuse is right behind the throttle body sitting on the intake manifold.

I had the same symptoms as you describe when my alternator when out the window.

if you need more info, here's the thread I had when the alternator problem occurred http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36779

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Who has even had a megafuse go out? I don't know of anyone. I would think the only thing to cause it to go would be some stupid crazy stereo. Maybe a misbuilt alt. that is over charging.

i have, alt wire rubbed clean and popped it after i broke down in indiana and had a local dealer do work then 5 minutes later i popped another alternator and he tried to speed through the work. the megafuse popped a few years later after it had finally rubbed enough away.

Well, The alternator was toast and one of the fuses under the dash was blown. So the alternator was replaced; along with the serpentine belt and that fuse.

Back