• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whining noise upon start up ... Power Steering pump?

Hydrargyrum

Veteran CEG'er
Happened a few times over the last few months, now it happened three times in a row over the last few days. When I start the engine, I hear a whining noise, sort of like a really loud supercharger... It lasts for about 20-30 seconds, then goes away...

Checked the power steering fluid, and it is filled to the max... Have no problems steering the car, steering seems fine...

Would a bad pulley make the same sound? What makes it weird is that it goes away after about 30 seconds...

What gives? :shrug:

A new rebuilt starter makes that noise.
My 220k starter made that noise.
My brothers 100k starter makes that noise.
My other brothers 215k starter makes that noise.

It is not uncommon. Also doesn't mean your starter is going either. My 220k starter did that from when I got the car at 95k all the way until I changed it out while doing the 3L swap.

UPDATE:

Drove the car to the gym, and it happened again at start-up ... went away at about 30 seconds, but reappeared during driving.... Again, it lasts for about 30 seconds tops...

@blu_fuz:
Why would the starter make that noise? Are you suggesting that the teeth of the starter are not withdrawing enough, and are making contact w/the flywheel??? That's pretty ••••ed up. Truth be told, about 6 months ago, my starter would not turn like 10 or so times, but has been working ever since... As far as I know, it is the original starter from the factory, but will have to check on that.

@FIND:
My interior and exterior lights have been pulsing for a while now ... and even out when the RPMs go higher... So you may be right also...

Not sure what to do at this point. I don't wanna just wait and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I get on a highway and get stranded somewhere...

Anyone else? Thanks guys

I think the little gear that pushes out to match up with the flywheel when you engage the starter has a little too much play and then makes that bad noise. Now reading your last post I think it is not your starter.

It's like when you get a shopping cart with that one wheel that shakes all over the place because it isn't tight, that's what I imagine the little gear doing when it makes that noise...... This is all opinion BTW.

Go to a battery dealer that has a good quality battery tester. Good quality testers can test the draw your starter pulls, test your alternator, and all that noise. Usually they will do it for free because they can sell you something if they find something wrong.

As far as the starter goes..... it is difficult to diagnose when that is the problem. Easiest thing is to get your head under the hood, and hope to zero in on the sound. Or you can take the starter off and sometimes you can feel that much play in the shaft if you try and wobble it side to side.

Trouble shooting is quicker and more accurate

Trouble shooting is quicker and more accurate

Before you jump to conclusions. Do some simple trouble shooting. If an accessory is making that much noise it probably is bound up pretty tightly.

To trouble shoot which accessory,

First determine if it may be the ac compressor by turning the defrost ac switch on the dash to OFF. If the noise goes away, then......

Then remove the serpentine belt and then do the following.

1. Start up the car. If the noise is gone, then likely NOT your starter.
2. If the noise is gone, then spin each accessory by hand to feel if it is bound up.
3. When you find a pulley that is very hard to turn you likely have found your problem
4. If the ac compressor pulley is very hard to turn, then both the compressor and compressor clutch are shot.

Now if it is the compressor and you don't need ac you can install a shorter belt to run all of the other accessories. The cost of a compressor and other parts is likely more than the car is worth.

Best of luck

Try this if you suspect power steering. Siphon off as much power steering fluid as you can, then add one container of Lucas Oil Power Steering Leak stop. Drive it around a bit and see if it is quiet next time.

Then remove the serpentine belt and then do the following.

1. Start up the car. If the noise is gone, then likely NOT your starter.
2. If the noise is gone, then spin each accessory by hand to feel if it is bound up.
3. When you find a pulley that is very hard to turn you likely have found your problem
4. If the ac compressor pulley is very hard to turn, then both the compressor and compressor clutch are shot.

Best of luck

Great suggestions, but for any novices that may read this. Turn the car OFF before trying to spin the accessories by hand. I know its assumed in the above post, but if someone blindly followed the directions above, the motor would still be running when they get to step 2.

Must be a mid-May thing... Mine just started the same thing over the weekend...

The only difference I can add is that it starts about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes into the morning drive.
No tach so I cant say what engine speed but it's 4th gear between 42 and 48mph. And, it's definitely engine speed related.
Disengage the clutch and the noise disappears... re-engage and it's right back...

I tried to mimic the engine speed in 3rd... same whinning (ala supercharger) noise...

and like the original post... only 20 to 30 seconds.

I too wil check all the above suggestions... with the motor off...

Zetec - MTX

Greg

Had an issue similar to this and turned out to be a bad alternator. I believe the coil was cracked and was causing the whining noise. Good luck!

Back