• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car stalls when put in drive and gas pedal pushed

randy1358

New CEG'er
i have a 97 ford contour gl every time you start it it will run fine once you put it in drive and push the gas pedal it stalls. if you let the car slowly accelerate itself with the motor than push gas slowly it wont stall. but you cant even drive it cuz it stalls almost every time. what could be the problem

Clean the MAF sensor. My car would hesitate whenever I stepped on the gas until I cleaned it.

97 contour gl stalls when you hit the gas pedal when in drive

97 contour gl stalls when you hit the gas pedal when in drive

i have a 97 ford contour gl every time you start it it will run fine once you put it in drive and push the gas pedal it stalls. if you let the car slowly accelerate itself with the motor than push gas slowly it wont stall. but you cant even drive it cuz it stalls almost every time. what could be the problem

97 contour gl

97 contour gl

I cant seem to figure out why my car is stalling when gas pedal is pushed. it only stall when gas is pushed when the car is in drive. In park it will idle and run fine except that it you floor it the gas will slowy rev up instead of fast like usual. i checked the tps with a meter its still good i cleaned the maf its fine cuz that was my origanal problem. i changed a rotted dpfe vaccum line and the fuel filter. i am running out of things to try can someone please help.​

i cleaned the maf checked my tps with a meter and changed a bad dpfe vacuum line. im still getting the problem. origanally my maf was dirty and making it do that i cleaned it and it ran fine for a month now its stalling every time gas is pressed but only when its in drive in park it idles fine but when you floor the gas even in park it will slowly rev than go full throttle

Since you cleaned the MAF have you tried resetting the ECU? Pull the fuses and see if that corrects it.

changed the fuel injectors and fuel pressure is good i did a fuel pressure test check engine light is on but it doesnt give a code it just says dpfe vaccum leak. but i changed the line and it hasnt come back on but my problem is still occuring

new to forum didnt no that placing the thread in new classroom and troubleshooting would show up twice each

no other vaccum leaks. i can tell you all the stuff i changed so far. the crank position sensor, cam sensor, cleaned maf, tested tps, and checked timing, changed plugs, oil and all new antifreeze and water pump and coolant temp sensors, the car would only stall when hitting the gas every once in a while than it became more periodacally now you cant even move it. but it runs fine in park the only thing is when you hit the gas it slowly revs up than once up on rpms it floors like its suppose to. can plug wires cause this or would that cause misfires cuz there is no missing it just stalls like it floods out. but fuel pressure is perfect. one other thing is when you take the air filter tube assembly off so its just the open throttle body you can get the car to move but its sluggish.

Back