• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need help quick

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
I started to drive my SVT today and when i shifted from first to second the car stayed in second around 3k rpms and if i floored it it wouldnt go above it. If i shifted to 3rd it would almost stall out. what could this be? Also is it normal for an SVT to shake about when driving in 5th gear on the highway. seems like it bucks a lot. What could that be?

not sure about the first part but the shaking is a similar problem I was having with my 98 Zetec a while ago and it turned out to be a vacuum leak.

No the secondaries not opening wouldn;'t cause this. When the secondaries stick the car is just sluggish getting up to speed (think driving like little old lady). I tried mine disconnected when checking a driveability issue. It drove fine just took longer to get there.

In the comments for the video I posted, the owner says the problem was a clogged fuel pump screen. Could be this, or really anything that would restrict fuel delivery (clogged fuel filter comes to mind). There are also other possible faults posited in the comments by other viewers, so that should give you some ideas.

Yes, if the MAF is dirty or damaged, you can have issues like this. Also, you shouldn't switch the MAF without resetting the ECU memory.

Anyone have any ideas on this? This car has been sitting for 3 1/2 years now but I never was able to figure out what the problem was. The symptoms were just like the one in the YouTube video posted above. It looks like the potential culprits could be the IMRC, fuel rail, fuel rail sensor, MAF, fuel pump or maybe the IAC?

DISCLAIMER: I be newb.

Fuel pump problems, in my experience (which is quite limited) seemed to involve working fine until it got revved to a certain point, and then the car would hesitate and eventually just died. It wasn't gear related. Have to tried accelerating fast in 1st or second ?

The ICA controls the idle (again, to the best of knowledge) and when mine died many years ago the symptoms were that the idle would not hold. I could start it up, the engine would rev up, then drop and die. I could keep the car going by keeping a foot on the accelerator when in N. So, I would doubt its the IAC.

The IMRC should be easy to test by unplugging the IMRC, but a malfunctioning IMRC does not sound like the culprit.

You could clean the MAF and try that. Does the car show any codes ? What about the exhaust ? Clogged cats ?

Mad Dog

I'd certainly be checking fuel pressure there.......................

I think I had a similar problem. Car would shake and lose power as speeds over 40 mpg. the car would actually buck about and lurch and lose power and get progressively worse and sometimes drive smoothly. I took it to a transmission shop and they replaced the Transmission shift plate I think. (this was last year). Cost me $160.

IMO I would check for pending codes if any. You could check fuel trim etc.if your gut is telling you fuel problem. Get a quality scan tool on it or take it to a reputable shop.

Back