• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where do I plug the diagnostic tool

MzzzKathee

New CEG'er
I have a 2000 Ford Contour with electrical problems. I have never found where I can plug in the diagnostic tool to get the codes. I've seen some say under the steering wheel?

My battery cable had a short and I kept wiggling the wires to start the car. I now know I may have blown something in the PCM??? Is that right??? Where is the PCM in the car?

Thanks for any help.

Its right next to the hood release latch. Under the steering wheel towards the left. Take a flash light & peek under there. U'll see it. And if u have to wiggle battery wires to start the car, that has nuthn to do with ur pcm. Somewhere along that line is an exposed segment. Find & cover it up.

Somewhere along which line is an exposed segment? I've even taken the glove box out checking wires and nothing seems frayed. The AC module in the junction box doesn't have power going to it either. First this started with a blower switch going bad and then replaced. It worked great for 15 min. and then stopped. Then I replaced the blower resistor, now the blower motor and now I do not have power at any point on the blower switch, AC/Heat knob and temp knob console. In addition, yesterday while I was checking wires, my turn signals quit. Now on my dash I have the check engine light, the air bag light, and a couple more lit up. I just want my car back together and on the road again. Preferably with AC/Heat and turn signals. So you don't think this has anything to do with the PCM? I really appreciate your help. I'm just learning how to work on my car and this is a tough way to start.

Ur problem is electrical for sure. I'm not that good with electricals unfortunately. But the wires i was referring to are the ones that go to the battery terminals. One stops at the starter, & goes all the way to the alternator. Check for continuity in the wires to make sure theres no fraying. If u're new to working on cars, this is gonna be a tough one for u to handle by urself

Okay, I'll find the place to plug in the diagnostic tool (near the steering wheel right?) and then I'll see what comes up. I did have a frayed wire leading from the battery - that's the one I kept wiggling. I finally wrapped it in tape. I'll get out early in the AM before it is 100 degrees and see what more damage I can do! Thanks so much.

Okay, I'll find the place to plug in the diagnostic tool (near the steering wheel right?) and then I'll see what comes up. I did have a frayed wire leading from the battery - that's the one I kept wiggling. I finally wrapped it in tape. I'll get out early in the AM before it is 100 degrees and see what more damage I can do! Thanks so much.

Bingo. Its the one i was describing.

Okay - perfect description of where the plug in for the diagnostics is located. I found it right away. Received no codes??? Soldered the big fat wire coming from the rear of the battery, wrapped in electrical tape and put battery back together. Car started which I was happy that I had not done something terribly wrong there. But, still no power to the dash switch things for the AC/HVAC (all three are dead). Again I checked all the fuses in the under hood box but how do I check the 60 amp fuses? Where the heck do those wires that go into the dash switch things lead to? Could I have a frayed wire along there? How I am checking that is my probe (with a good ground) placed directly to the ends of the wires or into the plug-ins. I hate to sweat through this hot summer but I can if I must. What I can't do is drive without defrost. I forgot to see if I had turn signals today. I do have radio, brake lights, head lights, etc. Thanks for helping this Girlie Girl learn how to take care of her own car.

Okay - perfect description of where the plug in for the diagnostics is located. I found it right away. Received no codes??? Soldered the big fat wire coming from the rear of the battery, wrapped in electrical tape and put battery back together. Car started which I was happy that I had not done something terribly wrong there. But, still no power to the dash switch things for the AC/HVAC (all three are dead). Again I checked all the fuses in the under hood box but how do I check the 60 amp fuses? Where the heck do those wires that go into the dash switch things lead to? Could I have a frayed wire along there? How I am checking that is my probe (with a good ground) placed directly to the ends of the wires or into the plug-ins. I hate to sweat through this hot summer but I can if I must. What I can't do is drive without defrost. I forgot to see if I had turn signals today. I do have radio, brake lights, head lights, etc. Thanks for helping this Girlie Girl learn how to take care of her own car.

A girlie girl??? Wow. Impressed...U're welcome. Its what we do here. Like u brought out already, U've popped a fuse somewhere. Do u have ur car manual? Theres a page in there with detail outlines matching specific fuses to the parts they control. I dont have one here with me at present. So look to see which fuse controls the A/C HVAC. Just so u know, theres another fuse box right next to the diagnostic plug u found. U pull the panel to expose the fuses.

I don't think you mentioned it, but there is a 2nd fuse panel under the driver side dash, a little to the right of the diagnostic terminal you just found. You may have some blown fuse(s) in there. There is a black release button that once pressed will allow the panel to fold downward, exposing the fuses. Check those.

Thank you for responding. I have even taken the fuse box out from the driver side and inspected the whole thing (got that tip from this forum). I've pulled every fuse in that box and the under hood box and inspected for breaks. None found. Checked to make sure all the amps were correct on the fuses. All I know to do is look at the fuses to see if there is a break - is there something else I can do? I've pulled known good modules (those bigger black boxes) and switched them all around and all seem to be okay. The 60 amp fuses under the hood - I dont' know how to determine if they are good or not. I am sorry I don't know all the exact names for these parts. I do have my owner's manual as I'm the original owner and it has helped me get this far - that and you guys. There is this box to the side of the under dash fuse box that has a lot of wires going into it. What is that and should I check it? Can I pull those things out?

Thank you for responding. I have even taken the fuse box out from the driver side and inspected the whole thing (got that tip from this forum). I've pulled every fuse in that box and the under hood box and inspected for breaks. None found. Checked to make sure all the amps were correct on the fuses. All I know to do is look at the fuses to see if there is a break - is there something else I can do? I've pulled known good modules (those bigger black boxes) and switched them all around and all seem to be okay. The 60 amp fuses under the hood - I dont' know how to determine if they are good or not. I am sorry I don't know all the exact names for these parts. I do have my owner's manual as I'm the original owner and it has helped me get this far - that and you guys. There is this box to the side of the under dash fuse box that has a lot of wires going into it. What is that and should I check it? Can I pull those things out?

I'm not sure about the large 60amp fuses. Does the manual say what they control? I wouldnt worry about those wires. Ur problem is a fuse. When there is a break in the battery wiring, and it touches another piece of metal, a fuse generally blows. We just have to figure out which one it is.

I know the block of wires and relays you are talking about under the dash, Im sure it controlls a lot of stuff. However, in my time on the forum, I have not known it to casue anyone issues. However, its impossible to rule out being that you had some electical shorts.

I know the block of wires and relays you are talking about under the dash, Im sure it controlls a lot of stuff. However, in my time on the forum, I have not known it to casue anyone issues. However, its impossible to rule out being that you had some electical shorts.

U're probably right. I assumed if there was a burnt wire, she'd at least see it.

You guys have been great to help me. I think I am going to have to give it up. I didn't have much time today to fiddle with it but I did have somebody try to help today and he put a "hot wire from the battery to the wires on the blower switch" (his words). When he did it sparked but no power to the switch, blower motor, etc. When I replaced the switch and the resistor about 10 days ago, both were showing burns. I can only assume that a wire somewhere between the two is burned and I just cannot find it. I have felt them, I have looked at them and I see nothing but good wires. I am looking at the wires between the control switch panel thing and the resistor/fan. Short of taking my whole dash off, which I am sure is beyond my ability, and really getting my eye on every inch of wire, I cannot find it. Sunday I am going to try one last thing and that is replacing every fuse in the fuse box just in case one or some are blown and I just don't see the break. After that, I guess I'll ride my bicycle! I sure have learned a lot though about my little Contour. Again, thanks so much to you guys.

Okay, just a follow up on my problem. A neighbor who is a residential electrician came over and after much pondering, decided I had a bad ground or no ground. I never understood how I could have "lost the ground" but that is what he said. He ran a wire from the under hood box where the AC module goes straight to the battery and I HAD A/C!!!! Now, how the heck do you find the bad ground? Is it somewhere in the switches that controls the HVAC?

Okay, just a follow up on my problem. A neighbor who is a residential electrician came over and after much pondering, decided I had a bad ground or no ground. I never understood how I could have "lost the ground" but that is what he said. He ran a wire from the under hood box where the AC module goes straight to the battery and I HAD A/C!!!! Now, how the heck do you find the bad ground? Is it somewhere in the switches that controls the HVAC?

Thats a tough one. I've no idea honestly. There are 3-4 main grounds that allow all the major components to function properly.
1- From the coilpack to the valvecover
2- From the car body to the tranny
3- From the PCM to the passenger side motor mount
4- Theres a fusebox ground as well
Other than these^^^, i've no idea. If someone else has better info, pls chime in.

There are quite a few grounds.

The ones BAD mentioned. There are a few in the passenger side footwell, if you remove the kick-panel just to the right of where your feet would go. I would try to trace the black or black with green stripe wires from each component that isn't working until you find where it attaches to the body/chassis, or to another bundle of wires that attaches to the body/chassis.

Good luck.

Back