• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem with plugs and wires...

parasucopimp

New CEG'er
last week i decided i wanted to change my plugs and wires, so i managed to pick up some ford racing 9mm wires and some ngk iridium plugs.

today, when i did the change over, the car is running really weak, so i checked to make sure there was spark from each plug and wire, and there was. i took the car on the road to see if there was something noticable, and there definatly was... my car almost sounds like a go cart, bad mis fire. i have no power, no pull, and my check engine light is on.

i tried putting the old plugs and old wires back in, and even still was not the same as it was before. im not too sure what to do about it.

has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Welcome :) . Check the sp wiring order and gap.

Firewall side
4- 6 -5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

Spark Plug gap 0.054 inch

well, the order it was when i first removed the wires was

coil pack
4 6 5
3 2 1

engine

3 2 1
4 5 6

been that way since i owned the car and always felt good, has it been wrong?

well, the order it was when i first removed the wires was

coil pack
4 6 5
3 2 1

engine

3 2 1
4 5 6

been that way since i owned the car and always felt good, has it been wrong?

How long have you had your engine mounted backwards from every other Contour in the world? Need to pull that engine, rotate it 180, and reinstall it (without rotating the coil).

Tony's layout is correct.

Steve

Last edited:
I once crossed cylinders 2 and 5 while changing wires, sounded like a VW Beetle (old school one) and was a slow as one too.:crazy:

with a little trial and error, it was plugs 1 and 3 crossed.
everythin works great now.
thanks for the help

Back