• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

having some issues..

There are about 1/2 a dozen clamped hose connections in that area, all can wet the top of the transmission. You may have to feel around under the hoses to find a wet spot. :laugh: Sorry, but that's usually how it's done. Have the radiator hoses even been replaced? What's the age/mileage on the hoses?

In the future, it would really help if your post title and the text in your post actually spoke to the problem you're having, then the search function will have something to work with.

We're here because we own 15 year old Ford Contours, we're all "having some issues...". ;)

(Untitled)

hoses are fine I pressure tested them and the car overheated quickly. and I put all the hoses on my self and double checked them. I think it's an intake gasket. not 100% tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a head gasket, but the upper and lower intake is dry, so probably not that. If the engine is running OK and not blowing white smoke from the exhaust when the cooling system is hot, then the head gasket hasn't failed into a cylinder bore. If a head gasket fails into a cylinder, it will show up on a cylinder compression test.

There are cooling system leak detection kits, often the auto parts chain stores will rent them. They include some fluorescent dye that's added to the cooing system and a black light used to look for traces of leaking dye.

You could also try renting a cooling system pressure check tool, which is a small hand pump and gauge that screws onto the pressure cap of the coolant recovery reservoir. You pump up the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. Once it's under pressure, you could use some dish washing detergent mixed in water in a spray bottle as a leak detector, the soap in the water will bubble in the presence of a leak.

... have you checked the water pump ?

Some impellers stop turning with the shaft and cause overheating. Water may or may not be leaking from the impeller shaft seal ..... G.

i'd take an air line to the water and dry the whole area so it becomes easier to see where the water is coming from ..... G.

Can't agree more, you may never find the leak unless the area is clean and dry. I'd spray off the top of the trans with a garden hose, then dry it with compressed air.

If you replaced the big hose between the water pump and engine block, the clamp at the block is very hard to get seated, especially if you re-used the spring clamp, this is a common leak point. Did you replace the whole water pump (front and back), or just the impeller half?

Water hose connections are notorious for leaking after they've been disturbed for hose replacement unless the hose nipples are wire brushed clean for the new hoses. Had this happen several times in the 45 years I've been wrenching on cars.

(Untitled)

I replaced the impeller half I believe, it was really easy to replace. I'll clean it tomorrow and see if I can see anything

Intake gasket wont leak any kind of fluid. Start off by cleaning that all off with a hose and degreaser, and try it. Then run the car a little bit and see where it's coming from. Have you had to add any fluids?

(Untitled)

it's been sitting for like a week and it's been below freezing all the time. can't get a non froozen hose here!

Another thing worth looking at are the o-ring gaskets on the cooling by-pass tee that ties the two cylinder heads together. This could produce the coolant exactly where you are seeing it. You should be able to see it dripping down the cylinder heads onto the transmission. See the pic below...

1XslcH.jpg

Back