• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1914's Built thread! Shooting for 12's!

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so finally, after 3 years of waiting, planning, saving, and having things fall into my lap, i'll finally have another 3L in my car after running with a 2.5 since late 2012. I purchased a parts car that came with a 3L Hybrid with 3L valves and a rod shift trans with a Quaife. The parts car goes in for disassembly this coming weekend to evaluate what all i can use from the car (runs and drives.)

Anyone who knows the car knows i have it set up for autocross, and that will be the primary use for the car, but if feel like no one has been trying for this goal after it has been deemed "Impossible" so here i am trying to do it, and do it on an all motor setup.

Plans for the motor/motor mods:
3L valves
Port heads
New rod bearings
MSDS headers and y pipe
cam regrinds (already sent out)
Gutted LIM
Bigger throttle body
UIM ported to match TB
9lb Fidanza flywheel
21lb-36lb injectors (Going to run stock 19# first to see how it does)
255lph SVT Focus fuel pump (stock for now, will upgrade later)
No cats, Magnaflow resonator, side pipe single exit

Trans mods:
Quaife differential
DSS Axles
Stock 4.06 FD

Suspension mods:
D2 coil overs
2 bolt tubular LCAs
Tubular rear toe arms
Boxed rear control arms
All poly bushings in the rear suspension
21mm Bat rear sway bar

Brake Mods:
13" Cobra front brakes
300mm rear FSVT brakes

Weight saving mods:
Power steering delete (build my own manual rack with stock steering ratio)
A/C delete
Gutted trunk (Spare, carpets, jack, etc)
Cruise control delete
Power antenna delete
CF/FG Evo hood

Right now, the car weighs right around 2950lbs w/o driver. I'm shooting for closer to 2900lbs or less. Eventually i'll be getting Corbeau seats to shave more weight. Car is still running a full interior with power seat, windows, door locks, and sunroof.

Goals for HP and torque are right around 250whp and 220wtq.

Car as she sits right now.

IMG_7086-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7091-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7095-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

_MG_7003-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

I want to beat you to this now...lol. Good luck broski...one of us is gonna have to bring something exciting to these forums again!! I brought the Nascar lip spoiler to reality...I did my part! lol

RTGT i hope to see you there!

Brent, It probably wouldnt bother me much if you beat me to it, but it would be cool to be the first to do it. I just want to be able to do it all motor, and bring some life back into this platform, as you said. The forums do need life, and if we start setting records and building awesome cars, it might help!

Stop posting on facebook and only post on the forums. That might drive people back ...... an engine build isn't going to do it.

sorry I am in an annoyed mood today ... but still ...

Also Mark you posted something on facebook about the 2.5L race engine as I recall. Yes it makes 3L or better power but as I recall it idles over 2k rpm, no secondaries and a lot of other work.

Last edited:
I will be here Brian. I am not on Facebook anymore. And life is actually better. Don't waste that time anymore. I have even bigger plans ahead. I am gonna be an innovator...not an imitator!!

Hoping to cross the 12 second barrier myself this summer. Or at least get close to it, I'd be completely fine breaking past 13.5 to be honest. With a built oval port, instead of a built hybrid however

Brian, yea, i'm aware of that with those engines. Just impressive that they get that kind of power out of those 2.5s. But then again, Prodrive got 300hp out of a 2L. And i know that posting on FB and here doesnt help the cause. I need to work on that.

Brent, i cant wait to see what you have in store. I just wish you'd finish the dang paint on that car!

Jeremy, bring it on! I want to see some fast SVTs!.

More power to you guys for trying. It will help keep thing going with people trying new things again. I'll help out where I can of course.

Well, so far the the only things I've gotten done was a power steering delete, PRT subframe bushings, and found a way to cram some 245/40's on the car. I'm still waiting on cams for the 3L motor. My first autocross event is on Saturday, so my main focus was getting ready for that. I did however have some time today to snap some pics of the car.

IMG_7721-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7717-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7713-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7702-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7699-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7691-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7695-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

I won't be far behind you 95, I'm also shooting for high 12's and I won't stop until I am done.. Im guessing it will come down to launch/suspension/tire setup. But don't worry I'll give ya run for your money :)

I love competition! Bring it on! It makes it all more fun! If someone hits 12's before me, then i didnt try hard enough, and they deserve the recognition.

Little update on the motor! I finally got it on an engine stand and started ripping it apart on Friday. While doing so, i got the text i've been waiting for. The cams are done! Also, i found the intake ports and exhaust ports are both ported! So, 2.5L ported heads, 3L valves and cams! Should be a fun car for sure!

3l3 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3l2 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3L by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3l4 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

3l5 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

Back