• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my rig

Fair enough. I was considering slightly cooler IAT's providing a slightly denser charge and in turn being able to burn a bit more fuel. Like you said though, it would probably be a marginal difference at best.
it would. but yea maybe 10 hp with a bit of tuning.

Really looks great! Nice work. And I see the PRT upper strut mount mod :cool:

thanks man. yea the camber conversion is dope. actually the second cougar i did it on

Good to see yet another full 3L making good numbers. Makes me sad that mine is sitting in the corner of the garage under layers of dust.

thanks! yea mines been sitting a few months too. i have a massive fuel leak from the npg fuel block. need a new strut, 4 new tires and an alignment. and hopfully nothing else is bent. because i also have a spare non bent front subframe, i was also thinking about getting the powerflex lca bushings before alignment but we'll see.

ive been really looking for a 6.0 gm motor for the 240sx, so the cougar has been slacking. also i have a massive bachelor party i need to save up for as well an save up to finally move out, and also money to fix my bike. lol. its hard to have so many projects.

update on this!!
ts been sitting for 3 weeks! because i cant find any god damn o-rings for the ford quick disconnect fuel lines. nobody carries them or nothing and i dont have originals to pick out new ones. i found a performance shop online that sells a kit for mustangs since they use the same connectors, but the ended up sending a bunch of interior screws labeled as "fuel o-rings". im just are you f*cking kidding me?! like who packed this sh*t?! i wanna see what kinda idiot he is. you have to be pretty ****ing dumb not to mention that to someone in the higher paygrade then you.

anyways thats the end of my rant. i ended up finding a dorman part matching the same exact connectors, i just took the o-rings off of them and now she purrs!

if anyones wondering Dorman part numbers 800-131, and 800-130 are the ford fuel line connectors. youre welcome

guess what the ups guy brought!

out with the old. in with the new!

in other news... new subframe is also getting painted. going to be a pretty amazing view. stay tuned

I spoke at length with the Powerflex folks about these last year, the only difference between the Black (race) and Yellow or Purple street parts is the stiffness (durometer) of the Urethane pieces that surround the metal spherical ball inside the bushing.
http://powerflexusa.com/howtochoose.aspx
Once you get the tapered spacers in these and get them mounted in the subframe pockets, I think you'll find they have a similar range of motion to the stock rubber bushes, but minus a lot of the friction, which means despite the higher stiffness, the ride quality shouldn't degrade much, if at all. Getting the movement friction out of suspension flexures generally improves ride quality.

i was thinking of reinforcing the stock ones or making a set myself. but ive had some bad luck hitting ditches or curbs. and this creates a weak spot in the suspension, instead of having expensive things break. it will only be a bent lca. after more practice il definitely rethink that again.

i think next upgrade will be a front splitter

well i got my alignment. neutral all the way around with -1.5* of camber. talked to the owner of the shop, and we agreed that since i didnt know how the car handled yet i should do neutral and then go from there whether it oversteers or understeers. but i gotta say... I AM IMPRESSED:biggrin:.

its day 2 now after about a year without it. i put about 250 miles on it. and wow just wow. this car is definitely the car that will get me in trouble if i drive it in the streets. lol

it has a strong bite at initial turn in. and alot of bump steer because the PS system is gone. i love the feeling. but if i foor it while lets say doing a u-turn and my steering wheel isnt all the way back to straight. it will spin that wheel in h*lla weird directions. bit annoying. but its definitely avoidable

next weekened if first autocross of the season, so im pretty excited to beat some cars that definitely dont expect it. ill keep you guys updated.

SORRY, FORGOT to post this from NECO, so heres the last few weeks worth of updates .

so i took the coug out for the first time on my new build. it was test and tune day so no points, they put up a very short coarse so everyone could get a ton of laps. i got 9 with a rerun. it was a windy ass day! and only like 50*. it was damn cold! and they it hailed twice! lol. anyways my tires could never get over 100* so it was a bit difficult to keep grip.

so my first run i had my front struts at full soft. i failed.
2nd run i hit 50% stiffness. better but still didnt feel good.
3rd run full stiff and it felt much better.

i started dropping about 1/4 of a second each run, but i was getting to close at slaloms and hitting some cones, and not braking enough.
i kinda realized my racing style wasnt right, so i went a little more mellow around cones, like smoother and further i guess, and i cut a second and a half!

heres where i need some of your help from those who autox. so i still cant get fast enough to corner around cones, and my car still understeers a little, i dont know how to loosen the rear a little bit, but its not really squealing tires (hard to explain but i feel like a need the rear to be doing more work) . the back struts are set at 50% i believe, and the only way to adjust is to remove them. after each run id measure my tire heat, fronts are right at 100* and rears are barley at 80*. what should i do?

Anyways... 2nd time autocrossing was last weekend. And boy does the car feel different then the first time taking her out. This time autox was on a road coarse so it was alot faster coarse. I was red lining 2nd and had to shift into 3rd though some straight portions. Shifted about 8 times each run. Unless I left it in 2nd and cruised at red line. Track was 72 seconds for me

Car handled alot like before i got coilovers, if I brake in the turn initiation the rear will slide.. spun out once..and that's how I learned to brake hard and only in a straight line. Started to drive more smoothly and not so back and forth and cut my time a good 8 seconds throughout all day.
got a rerun on the last run. So I went out and beat my fastest time by like 1.5seconds! Placed 8th in my class. Which im happy about since I haven't adjusted my suspension at all.
Overall I got 38th fastest time out of 100 cars, both in raw and pax. So Im pretty satisfied.

This weekend Im going to aTrack day at the same racetrack. So I'm gonna learn the car even more! Downloaded a lap timer for my phone, bought a helmet, I think I'm set to learn how to drive!

heres where i need some of your help from those who autox. so i still cant get fast enough to corner around cones, and my car still understeers a little, i dont know how to loosen the rear a little bit, but its not really squealing tires (hard to explain but i feel like a need the rear to be doing more work) . the back struts are set at 50% i believe, and the only way to adjust is to remove them. after each run id measure my tire heat, fronts are right at 100* and rears are barley at 80*. what should i do?

Are you running a big rear sway bar? Can you get a smaller one? Maybe disconnect it all together? Not sure what works for the CDW27 platform, but I know the Gen I/II SHOs ran best with no rear sway bar.

Back