• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Repair rear spoiler

Nice write-up :cool:

I am currently dealing with this issue also, on my SE. I decided to do the pre-98 trunk lid instead. Until I finish painting the replacement lid, I removed the spoiler, and used rubber 3/4" differential plugs to seal the holes up (some need drilled out to be the correct size/round.).

I've repainted my spoiler 3 times, because the clear coat kept peeling off. I don't think the damaged spoiler mounts were from lifting the lid by the spoiler (but that could have worsened it.). It actually seems like the spoiler has shrunken, or started to curl up... probably sun-damage. Once I unbolted the spoiler, it was definitely way more arched than it should have been. I don't think the JB Weld would hold the tension that my warped/arched/shrunken spoiler would put on it, if repaired this way.

Like every thing else on this car, all the normal problem parts are getting deleted, or replaced with non-problematic parts... Sun-roof motor replaced with European hand crank, IMRC deleted, pre-98 dash swap, 3L swap, and now spoiler delete/pre-98 trunk lid swap.

How long has your spoiler repair job held up, so far?

I only did it about a month ago and the car has largely been sitting in the garage waiting for my next repair (remove dash), so I can't say its been very long, nor has it really been in the sun for long.

I didn't notice any large scale warpage, so hopefully the repair stays repaired….

The nice thing about a 15 year old car… lots of parts on the junkyard….

thanks,

Mad Dog

Back