Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ONLY trunk lid strut removal How-To! Video inside.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was finally at the point that the trunk wouldnt stay up and have been hit in the head too many times. Mine was one of those issues where you get it up, its balancing and you touch something in the trunk it will fall on your head....or back... or even worse the latch loop hits you in the back of the neck.

I purchased Sach's pieces which have a lifetime warranty for a spoiler car (cheaper for some reason). With the help of the video and comments on here had them changed out at night in 20 minutes. Didnt realize how shot they were until the first use. Nice draw open slowing at the top, and nice firm close.

Not sure if its mentioned but, the ball at the front is mounted opposite to the one on the trunk arm so the clip is facing to the inside rather then out. The driver side front is a little trickier due to the courtesy light switch. Here I used a small screw driver to easily work over the strut tower without the back of the other (longer) screw driver handle hitting the switch bracket.

Thanks fuz and everyone for the comments
    2000 Tropic Green SVT Contour #455 of 2150
    Born Date: Nov. 19, 1999
    Exhaust | Intake | ATS Complites | Pre-98 trunk w/ Lip Spoiler | A-pillar Gauges | Fidanza Shifter | Ground Control | Koni | Autovation | ED Splitter | Carbon Fiber EVO Hood

Comment

Crazy Canuck

Hey Blue:
      thanks so much for your video on taking off trunk lifts...that u made few yrs ago
      at 2 am...i was trying to sqeeze my 62 yr old body..with a full snowmobile suit on cus its real cold
      into the trunk of my 99 merc mystique LS..
      The front clip was easy...the rear..a frickin nightmare
      finally pulled off some trim inside the back seat and stuck my screwdriver thru one of the factory
      slots....was gettin so desperate...was gonna take out the sawzall and make my own access hole...LOL
      Anyway your vid was such a great help....

Comment

Very cool guys . Even with how easy it seemed to be in the video, there are some Contours that I still had a hell of a time getting that rear clip off. Good luck!
        *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
        25 Contour / Mystiques and counting......
        I'M POWDER COATING AGAIN! PM ME FOR REQUESTS.

Comment

What happened to the video in this thread?

Comment

I have no issues watching the video. (Chrome on win7)
            Matthew
            1999 Contour SVT #410 - 109k
            2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5MT - 130k
            Sold: 98.5 Contour SE V6 ATX

Comment

Working...
            X