• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HOW-TO: Custom Gauges

98Mystique2

CEG'er
Photo tutorial on making your own gauges

Special thanks to savior, he gave me the idea and did a lot of the original work with files

If Anyone wants the PSD files that I used here they are.. Included are the ones i got from savior...
some are modified ... if you want the original spedo it's 5.psd (the one at the top)... there's bunch of files that i worked on with different versions in the zip file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28556637/5.psd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28556637/5.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28556637/Gauges/Gauges.zip

... it'll let you skip steps 3&4 and some of touching up the guages
Step1: Remove gauges.
DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE GAUGES OUT>>> YOUR CAR WILL NOT CHARGE THE BATTERY AND IT WILL DIE>>
0 copy..jpg
Step2: Remove the needles and peal the gauge faces off... (the needles pull straight up there are tools for it.. i didnt use any)
1 copy..jpg
If you have a Mystique i can email the PSD files i used to do this The only thing thats different for the svt is the speedo goes to 150 or 60 instead of 130... If you have an svt you can ask saivor he did it for his.
Step3: Place the gauges on the scanner bed.. you can do it one at a time or all of them together (PAY ATTENTION TO THE SETTINGS) B/W will save you tons of time editing
2 copy..jpg
3 copy..jpg
Step4: Scan it in!(PAY ATTENTION TO THE SETTINGS)
4scan..jpg

Step4: Modify the gauges (use adobe illustrator preferably it's vector based unlike photoshop)
Edit: photoshop works just fine.
6edit..jpg
Step5: Print them out, Use a laser printer, i hear the inkjet runs... Print it on plane white paper...
You will also need to go to Fedex Kincos or some other place and have them print out a transparency of the identical thing B/W transparency costs 75 cents for them to print out... id just let them do it.... Staples i tried to buy some transparancies a pack of 50 cost40 BUCKS!!!! don't even bother with that..

So, 1 plane paper, 1 transparency ( you may do more but i found it didn't let enough light through...)
7print on paper copy..jpg
Step6: Cut it out, Use a sharp exacto knife, make sure to cut out your odometer holes too... i kinda forgot to
8cut out exacto copy..jpg
Step7: give it a test fit.. make sure everything works well
9testfit copy..jpg

Step8: Get your adhesive spray ready!
11adhesive spray copy..jpg
Step9:Binder clip the two layers of the gauges, I found the top layer as a transparency and the bottom as the white paper looked the best and worked best for the light
11binderclip copy..jpg
Step10: LIGHTLY AND FROM A DISTANCE OF ABOUT A FULL ARMS LENGTH pull the two layers apart and quickly Spritz them with the adhesive... dont use much or it'll make it runny splotchey and look like •••• liek this
11dontusemuch copy..jpg
Let it dry for a little bit and go ahead and test fit try the lights out see how everything looks before spraying the adhesive on the back and making it semi permanant
10 one layer copy..jpg
Step11: Lightly Again and from a distance spray the back of the new gauge... now line it up and slap it on
12 place it copy..jpg

Step 12: Put all the gauges and needles back on... (you need to place the gauges back in the car and plug them in)
THIS IS THE HARDEST STEP
You now must calibrate the guages....
it's best to start with a full tank of gas ... and a cold car...
START THE CAR
now the needle (if there was one on it would move to the normal position like it was before you disconnected it (except for the speedo which rests on zero))
Place the gas needle back on
Place the temp needle on the cold size.. where it normally is when you first start the car...
once the car is warm put the tach needle on at 750 or whatever your car idles at...

The speedo is the hardest i found... my best bet was to engage the cruise control while driving 55 and placing the needle right there.
Dont push them on too hard or they'll bind and you wont know what anything is
13 reassemble copy..jpg
Step 13:Reassemble and (optional) Take pictures of your work and show everyone
14 night copy..jpg

WATon copy..jpg

Quick update. Everything is still working well. People mentioned problems with the spray adhesive delaminating over time I haven't had any problems yet after 6 months... granted it hasent hit 100 outside the car yet so I guess summer will tell
update 06/09/11
It's hit 100 my car's been sitting outside and hasn't moved since today since it got cooler (no ac) but the gauges are still good
update 10/25/11
Everything's still working great

Oooh, that spray-adhesive is a good idea; I used many small, carefully-cut pieces of double-sided transparent Scotch tape, andit hasn't come apart yet, but that also took some time and effort.

Also, one tip as far as putting the fuel tank needle back on and getting it in the right place: The orange "running-on-empty" alert light will come on when the tank is on E no matter where the needle is; they are independent of each other. I just waited till my orange Empty warning light came on, then stuck the needle on pointing at the E. Simple.

Great tutorial it really sparked my imagination.

Template:
02to.png

In the CAR:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7295/9syy.jpg

Overall thoughts:
Had a tough time to get the light to shine through and in a different color. I was aiming for a red color and wanted to keep the current stock bulbs. I don't have pictures of the most up to date design. I ditched the white number overlay and made it constantly red. Maybe I'll post more tips later.. I had many struggles. I'll post the newest build later.

KEY POINTS:
Only spent $2.70 + manual labor
Can change the color (in my case red) of your meters without buying colored/led bulbs. Im using stock light bulbs to illuminate.

Back