• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installing a stretch fit belt

mmc757

Veteran CEG'er
Gates now makes stretch fit belts and also a tool for installing them safely. This vid shows installation on an Escape.
[video]http://www.gates.com/stretchfit/assets/videos/micro-v_stretch_fit_highspeed.swf[/video]

Recently installed one on my 3.0 cougar no need for a special tool all you need is a shop rag. Slip the belt on the wp pulley and straddle the belt with the rag and pull the belt up and in place. You should then be able to slide the rag out. This trick works on sepr Belts Too In A pinch.

Best way to do it for the water pump is to put it around the pump, then start to put it around the pulley on the cam, then use a zip tie to hold the belt in place on the cam, then slowly rotate the motor by hand and it slides right on. Then remove the plastic tie.

Believe me, after you use the rag trick you will never go through all that effort again. Its one step, doesn't require turning the motor over. That's why I posted it.

Back