• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

300mmx278mm brake group buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmonger

Hard-core CEG'er
Initial pricing will be set today after a final talk with the machinist. The price will include everything below plus shipping, packaging and insurance.

Here are my approximations so you can decide:
Tentatively the Front kit will sell for $160
Tentatively the rear kit will sell for $150
Purchasing of both kits will allow a small discount due to combined shipping and such. Tentatively the Front+Rear $295

Okay, most of you are aware already but for those that are not:

There are actually two kits here. Front and rear.

The front kit is for brackets that allow 300mm Focus SVT rotors to bolt up to the stock Contour SVT and Most Cougar brake bracketry and calipers.

The rear kit allows you to use the Contour SVT and Cougar 278mm front rotor and install it on the back of the car, after some modifications.

Front kit includes:
2 - brackets made from 1/2" plate steel
4 - special spacers made from 300 stainless
4 - bolt studs
4 - nuts
4 - washers
4 - 12mm bolts

*All bolts and washers are hardened grade 10.9 or better.

Rear Kit includes
2 - brackets made from 3/8" plate steel
4 - spacers made from 300 stainless
4 - 10mm bolts
**4 - washers

**Depending on bolt style supplied with the kit there may be more or less washers provided. JIS flange head bolts will not require a washer**

Notes:
-You can use the same pads that are in your calipers now to save money or buy new pads.
-You should save the front rotors to use on the rear.
****You WILL have to source your own FSVT rotors whether you buy factory Ford or aftermarket. This should be the only added cost****
-The brakes clear all stock SVT 16" wheels. They will clear any FSVT 17" wheel. Some 16" wheels may need to be test fitted first.

Here is a word document with the instruction set. Pictures will be added to the instruction set and sent out with the brakes or via email.
http://www.rumodded.com/warmonger/front.doc
http://www.rumodded.com/warmonger/rear.doc
FAQ

Will it work with the standard contour/mystique brakes?
Yes but it requires the SVT caliper bracket. ALL bigger brake contours/cougars use the same caliper bracket, all smaller brake contours/mystiques use the same smaller bracket and would have to obtain the larger bracket from the junk yard. ANY caliper from the contour/cougar/mystique can be used as long as the appropriate bracket is fitted.

What brake pads can I use?
ANY stock or performance pad used for the stock brakes. Even though you are still using stock pads the greater leverage from the bigger rotor and the heat handling capability of the system will greatly enhance braking ability.

Is this kit just as good as a professional big brake kit like TCE?
NO. The TCE kit is awesome. But you have to pay to play. This kit is an enhancement and will give the same brake performance as the FSVT hardware kit, but with better more stock like pedal feel, but for significantly less $.

Can I get just the front or just the rear kit?
Yes

What if I run into problems during installation?
I'll be available via email, PM, and possibly phone if I like you enough (j/k) to help answer questions. BigJim and DemonSVT are both experienced with the front kit and Ray can answer some questions on the rear kit.

I'm not really skilled at DIY projects. How hard will this be for me?
If you want it done get some help from someone who has some experience. Don't just pay someone to do it, be there with them, attempt the work and get their help.

How safe is the kit?
Let me say that this kit has over 8 months of performance daily driving testing on the fronts and a year of testing on the rears. There has not been one reported problem once the kit was fitted. The hardware is higher grade and as stong as I can make it. The bolts and spacers are all corrosion resistant and grade 10.9 hardness. The plates are overengineered to be extra strong.
However, this is not a DOT tested/approved kit or any of that. Many brake adaptations you can buy are also not DOT tested. Like any aftermarket part you are using it at your own risk. When you buy these parts you agree that you hold yourself responsible for assessing the quality of the parts and the quality of your installation job. If you can't do that then do not buy it.

Last edited:
Im in a ton of debt already, whats another $300? If it comes down to it Ill drop the $$$ b/c I know youve already spent tons and are looking to earn some back. When is the cut off?

When is the earliest I can have mine?

BTW if I can get mine now that'd me great, mmmmm'kay?

j/k

What kind of timeline are we looking at? I cant stop posting because me = excited

Glad you are able to see this thing start to take off, Tom! I can't describe how pleased I am with my set, and with your work in all aspects!!!!!!!!

SO, In order to keep things clean and concise, let's make a list.

The list should include your name, and which sets you want (answer should be FRONT, REAR, or BOTH

I have already added those that stated SPECIFICALLY which they wanted and that were positive. Do not add yourself unless you are POSITIVE YOU ARE PURCHASING THESE. If you aren't sure, are mostly sure, or are "probably" going to purchase, just post saying so, I'd recommend staying out of the list..

FRONT SET:

REAR SET:
Rara

BOTH SETS:
starjammir
KingpinSVT

The only thing that is weird to me with the rear kit is that the pad will still be small and only be making contact on 2/3 (guessed) of the rotor... Will that cause any problems?

Other wise im in for BOTH (front and rear).

The only thing that is weird to me with the rear kit is that the pad will still be small and only be making contact on 2/3 (guessed) of the rotor... Will that cause any problems?

Other wise im in for BOTH (front and rear).

According to the first post by Warmonger, the rears have been in use for a full year of daily driving with no ill effects. Rear pads are usually soft & don't wear much at all anyway as they do relatively little work compared to the fronts. So, I guess no high speed road coarse driving in reverse for extended periods... :shrug:

Last edited:
Minimum number of orders.

Minimum number of orders.

Okay, I can't get the better pricing on the brackets unless I get in bulk. Thats 25 sets.
I can split it, I need 10 set of fronts and 10 sets of rears minimum before I will kick this group buy. Otherwise it costs more for the bracketry and the spacers.

So far the prices stand as I put them up.

Guys understand that this is several thousand dollars that I'll be spending on my dime to pay for this purchase and all the associated hardware. To even kick this off I need the 10/10
I will also need deposits but we'll discuss that when we get the required number of people.

Talk to everyone you know and encourage the NECO guys, since I posted over there.

I'm not going to keep this group buy on for a long time. If it flies then it flies otherwise I'll turn it off and stop wasting the fabricators time.

I also would like to get a couple of pictures posted in here of the brake kit. Big Jim posted his front brakes with the 16" rims so you guys can compare.
Ray can post a shot of his car for how it looks with 17" rims and big brakes on all four wheels.

Maybe someon can convince Demon to post a shot of his car to show how all four wheels with big brakes on 16" rims looks.

Okay, thanks for playing! Lets get the game on now.

FRONT SET:

REAR SET:
Rara

BOTH SETS:
Kremithefrog (I'll give you a couple extra dollars if I get it before October 13th)
starjammir
KingpinSVT
TourDeForce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back