• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mirko Duraflex and Carbon Fiber splitters GB# 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been interested in a carbon version. I am still just waiting for my Duraflex from the first GB....praying this second one is good to go! lol Tired of driving around with a primered fiberglass Mirko looking like a true poser....would have painted it long ago if I had known it was gonna take this long (but didnt wanna waste paint though).

I still got my fiberglass one. I decided to keep it...and good thing I did. Because the second Duraflex I just got this week is a POS too. How did everybody else get so lucky with their wrap arounds fitting? Both of the ones I got had wrap arounds that are too long. I could cut the wrap arounds off and make them fit....but if I was gonna do that...I might as well just painted my fiberglass one (which I am gonna do now).

Wasnt this 2nd splitter already installed on someones car and they pulled it so you could have it ?

EDIT - ^^ i was wrong. it wasnt installed.
This is crazy Brent, i bet your just full of love for the SVTC with no 3rd gear right now LMAO.

I kinda wanna sell it....but I have SO MANY badazz parts and subframe connectors and such waiting to make this thing SO awesome. Yeah I hate it now....and ED pisses me off to say the least. I just want my money back at this point.

I still got my fiberglass one. I decided to keep it...and good thing I did. Because the second Duraflex I just got this week is a POS too. How did everybody else get so lucky with their wrap arounds fitting? Both of the ones I got had wrap arounds that are too long. I could cut the wrap arounds off and make them fit....but if I was gonna do that...I might as well just painted my fiberglass one (which I am gonna do now).

um, unless they sent you another blem one, i personally test fitted that splitter on my own contour and it fit just fine. i posted the pics up when i did so. im wondering if they sent you another blem :rolleyes::nonono:

I'm kind of interested in a carbon unit. Timing is terrible. Is the list in the 1st post updated and we only have 2 people so far?

so far you're the only one interested in a CF one. need 5 people for one of those. separate 5 people from the DF version. might have to wait till early spring (maybe Feb/Mar)

looks like we have at least 5 people so far for the DF ones. ive updated the list on page 1.

we need at least 5 people to order the carbon fiber versions to make them happen. id be willing to pay for 2 of them if we can get 3 others in.

these people have expressed interest. if these two are definitely game, we need just oooone more person...

1. 79mustang351w
2. kevinm77
3. svt4stv
4. svt4stv

Ok, Steve mentioned to me that you thought you got another blemished splitter, so I called ED to find out. You in fact did get the one Steve dropped off that was test fitted on his car. The splitter sat in a managers office until it shipped. The manager told me he physically seen a warehouse employee come to his office and grab it to ship it out. As to why it doesn't fit your car is a mystery, Steve test fit that one on his car and it fit fine. We can't just keep shipping and destroying lips to come and find out that they were fine all along. Who knows maybe something is off on your car that is making it fit slightly different. All the others we have shipped have fit decently well, so it's hard to argue with the majority.

i think another issue may be what kind of expectation you have for this thing to fit. they dont fit like a glove. not a latex one anyways, more like a leather work glove. if you're comparing it to malcom's carbon fiber splitter theyre two different animals. as was explained before, the carbon fiber ones just come out better and require less prep to make them fit and look right. of course they cost a lot more too.

as i explained in the previous GB thread, we can expect oem fitment for this kind of pricing. pete was just telling me that on his own corvette, he has a REAL Tiger Racing splitter on the front bumper. Tiger Racing purchased THE mold from GM themselves. it was originally going to be an authentic GM aftermarket part you could purchase from GM directly. instead, they sold the mold to Tiger Racing. well, pete said the fit was less than stellar and required quite a bit of work to make it fit right. and the part was probably well over $1k too. even with the GT500s, a lot of guys purchase THE official Super Snake carbon fiber splitter to replace their oem one. you can read plenty of complaints people have about how well those fit. and those are $$$$$.

i posted up a thread when i got THAT splitter. THE first final production version. i posted up a pic with it fitted on my own csvt and showed how it fit and that it was 10x better than the blem splitters. of course it still needs to be screwed on and possibly a little more than that, depending on how anal you want to get. but for a few hundred bucks its a damn good fit!

if you are still unhappy with it id be willing to take it back and refund you the cost of the splitter (not including shipping either way). you could probably recoup more $ by selling it to a local CEGer but its up to you.

ok, im officially a GOOD CEGer and a BIG idiot! :troutslap:

i had TWO splitters at my home right before SZ. a blem and a final production version.

as a good ceger, i offered to donate the blem to the raffle. i had to RUSH to get it and malcom's CF one to him in time for the convention. i overnighted them iirc. as i was grabbing them, i was pretty sure i had grabbed the blem to send him.

on a hunch, i did some investigating and thanks to malcolm, i found out that D.Acker had won the splitter in the raffle. i PM'd him and it turns out, his was a very tight fit. sooo..... i accidentally sent the good splitter to SZ instead of the blem as planned. so the blem was still sitting here and that's what i dropped off at ED for them to send to 79mustang351 here. so, luckily i was able to find all this out and i can fully accept the blame and fault here and apologize profusely to 79mustang351 for all the trouble.

instead of going through the hassle of sending it back and risking damage to it, id like you (79mustang351) to get the splitter to malcolm or whomever will be handling SZ12 as i will donate it to the raffle again as my contribution to the community. i see you're both in OH, hopefully near each other...

79mustang351, ill PM you to discuss what we can do about a refund or credit towards a new one, etc...

I knew I wasnt crazy!! I thought..I dont care what you guys say....I am not that hard to please....as I am a body guy...I can make things happen...but I cant fit these blems that are too long.

I am unsure of the repair process of Duraflex...can you do it like a fiberglass repair....or does that not work since the repair wouldnt flex as much?

Anyhow....the one I have now is back in the box safe and sound. It doesnt fit...its the exact same distance off in the wrap around....it is 1/4" longer than it should be. I can make the waves and other small issues that bother me go away with some bodywork...but was unsure how to cut these down and repair them. My fiberglass one fits NICE!! But its a heavy tuna...and thats why I wanted a Duraflex...lighter and the wraparounds.

With all that said....I will keep this splitter for SZ12...and we can raffle it off. If you cut the extentions off....it would be just like my fiberglass one (only lighter and ALOT stronger!!). Thanks again to Pete and Steve for figuring out the problem!! I really appreciate you guys sticking with this and helping me to the end and figuring out just what the hell happened...instead of leaving me hanging. Thats CEG at its BEST!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

ok, im officially a GOOD CEGer and a BIG idiot! :troutslap:

i had TWO splitters at my home right before SZ. a blem and a final production version.

as a good ceger, i offered to donate the blem to the raffle. i had to RUSH to get it and malcom's CF one to him in time for the convention. i overnighted them iirc. as i was grabbing them, i was pretty sure i had grabbed the blem to send him.

on a hunch, i did some investigating and thanks to malcolm, i found out that D.Acker had won the splitter in the raffle. i PM'd him and it turns out, his was a very tight fit. sooo..... i accidentally sent the good splitter to SZ instead of the blem as planned. so the blem was still sitting here and that's what i dropped off at ED for them to send to 79mustang351 here. so, luckily i was able to find all this out and i can fully accept the blame and fault here and apologize profusely to 79mustang351 for all the trouble.

instead of going through the hassle of sending it back and risking damage to it, id like you (79mustang351) to get the splitter to malcolm or whomever will be handling SZ12 as i will donate it to the raffle again as my contribution to the community. i see you're both in OH, hopefully near each other...

79mustang351, ill PM you to discuss what we can do about a refund or credit towards a new one, etc...

Lol, you crazy bastard. That's what happens when you have too much going on!!

I knew I wasnt crazy!! I thought..I dont care what you guys say....I am not that hard to please....as I am a body guy...I can make things happen...but I cant fit these blems that are too long.

I am unsure of the repair process of Duraflex...can you do it like a fiberglass repair....or does that not work since the repair wouldnt flex as much?

Anyhow....the one I have now is back in the box safe and sound. It doesnt fit...its the exact same distance off in the wrap around....it is 1/4" longer than it should be. I can make the waves and other small issues that bother me go away with some bodywork...but was unsure how to cut these down and repair them. My fiberglass one fits NICE!! But its a heavy tuna...and thats why I wanted a Duraflex...lighter and the wraparounds.

With all that said....I will keep this splitter for SZ12...and we can raffle it off. If you cut the extentions off....it would be just like my fiberglass one (only lighter and ALOT stronger!!). Thanks again to Pete and Steve for figuring out the problem!! I really appreciate you guys sticking with this and helping me to the end and figuring out just what the hell happened...instead of leaving me hanging. Thats CEG at its BEST!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

Yes it can be fixed just like fiberglass if you wanted, but since Steve want's to donate it then no need to worry. Glad that the problem was figured out though.

Well ••••. I feel kind of bad now. I was wondering when I got this one, I thought all the blems were too long, not tight fitting. Like I told Steve, if you were closer I'm sure we could have worked something out. I have no doubt that Steve will take care of you though.

Last edited:
Dave....your splitter may end up missing...painted Silver Frost before you know what happened..and a plain black Duraflex installed and hanging way past the back of your bumper cover!! lol j/k buddy.

I have the WORST luck with parts....it brings horrid memories of my UPS shipping damage to my Georgia RUST FREE Notch Mustang quarter that was BOWED with a forklift! Luckily that worked out in my favor.

Yeah I know Steve will....he has done a great job trying to get the right part to me...just hasnt worked out in his favor. This time I decided to get a carbon fiber version to go with the hood I am buying in the GB.

Dave....your splitter may end up missing...painted Silver Frost before you know what happened..and a plain black Duraflex installed and hanging way past the back of your bumper cover!! lol j/k buddy.

LOL! I'm glad we figured it out. When I saw you post that your's appeared to be a blem I went uh oh.. I wonder if..... But didn't want to say anything in case I was completely wrong.

I am just glad we figured out what happened. I was losing hope in my frontend ever getting paint on the splitter!! lol The primer look all summer was embarrassing....since I can paint and all. Just didnt wanna waste paint and materials cause I had already bought and mixed (JUST ENOUGH for one Mirko).

It looks great on your car Dave!! You need some wheels now....but your stockers and the whole car is so CLEAN....it doesnt matter either way.

It looks great on your car Dave!! You need some wheels now....but your stockers and the whole car is so CLEAN....it doesnt matter either way.

Thanks.. YEAH YEAH, and it needs to be lowered etc etc LOL... I actually came real close to picking up some 17s from PeppermintPatty at SZ, and I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money for a BAT kit yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back