• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speaker Question

mreid0731

New CEG'er
I recently installed Kicker 6x8 coaxial speakers because when I bought the 99 Contour SE, only one speaker worked. I also installed a JVC stereo with a Metra wiring harness. This was the first stereo/speaker installation I've done. I know very little about car audio and how it works so I need help. The speakers aren't the best but they're a good upgrade from the factory speakers but I feel like they aren't performing to their fullest potential. At medium to louder volumes they don't sound as clear as I'd hoped. Also, I know they're just speakers but there is very little bass, I was hoping for a little more with the price I payed. I'm not sure if there's not enough power running to them or what but if you have any suggestions for how to make them sound better please let me know.
Speakers: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-...ith-polypropylene-cones-pair-black/7741046.p?
id=1218859509040&skuId=7741046
Stereo: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-bui...lack/1517965.p?id=1219500996927&skuId=1517965

I have the model under those(front and rear). I'm running them off of 2 kicker ZR240 amps. Sounds very good with an amp. Just radio power will not suffice or do them justice.

Did you bypass the factory amp?

A Se Contour is not going to have premium sound and the factory amp in 99.

To the OP, looks at the rated RMS value on the speakers and the radio. If they are not similar then you might think about running some amps to power the speakers at there RMS watts.

The kicker speakers have an RMS rating of 75W with a peak at 225W, stereo is 22W RMS peak 50W. should I get a 200W amp so my speakers will never reach peak power at 225W? Or is that not even how it works?

A Se Contour is not going to have premium sound and the factory amp in 99.

To the OP, looks at the rated RMS value on the speakers and the radio. If they are not similar then you might think about running some amps to power the speakers at there RMS watts.

I looked behind the glove box and there's what I assume is an amp

I looked behind the glove box and there's what I assume is an amp

Please post a picture then.

My 99 SE is fairly well loaded and there was no premium sound in the car. A SE with the V6 and Sport package would have been more likely to have premium sound (w/amp) then any other car out there other than the SVT.

Back