• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dirty engine bay

pull the engine and scrub with a toothbrush B) but for real i use simple green on the tough stuff and it comes right off and a toothbrush to get in the tight spots.

where are you located in south-field?

The 13 & greenfield area ... How do I get my hands on that product that you ment ioned ... And what preparation / precaution steps should I take to get started ... I'm prerty sure that its common since but I'm a jr in highschool so I'm pretty new to this ...

When I got my car the engine bay was filthy. I went to the diy wash n powerwashed it. That cleaned alot of it up then I used the simple green to get the tough spots.

gotta love simple green guys hahaha as to power washing my engine bay never in my life would i do such a thing
Y not? there is a setting @ the wash that says engine bay. its not a full force like the rinse is. & i didnt go crazy with it. My battery is in the trunk so i wasnt worried about that getting wet. i just hit it real quick then took a towel to wipe it down & dry it.

I've used the DIY carwash for my engine bay as well (and I have an early '98, though no wiring harness problems yet). There is a carwash a few blocks from my house, so I go straight there to keep the engine as cool as possible. Use a low-pressure setting and avoid the fuse box and any obvious wiring areas. I've done it lots of times to get the major gunk off and then get deeper with a brush and Simple Green. There are also products that you can spray in the engine compartment to soak and then wash off with a hose, but I haven't used one in a long time so I don't really remember how well it worked. I think Engine Brite is the one I've used, you can get it at Walmart, auto parts stores, or online for less than $10.

-spray engine degreaser all over.
-let it soak.
-then spray wd-40 all over that
-let soak.
-rinse with hose.
-enjoy shiny engine bay:)

i power wash my engine all the time, but i own a power washer so i can do it while the engine is cool, and take my time because the timer wont run out on me. i've never once had an issue.

just my preference i would just never power wash my engine bay id rather just take my time and do it by hand just so i know there is no risk of messing anything electrical up to each there own

When I first picked up my svt. I was watching my six year old niece. I was washing my car had the hood up. Went inside and she decided to wash uncle's motor off for him. Well long story short fried my starter. LOL

Back