• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LED Headlights

dezenzerrick

CEG'er
So I recently bought some new LED's for my Mystique. Most owners of 95-97 Mystiques know that the low beam headlights don't perform the best (not sure of the Contours). The high beams are OK, but obviously we can't use these in frequently driven areas.

Below is the link to the LED's I bought. I'm not plugging these or anything, I'm just very happy with how these lights perform, and it's a much easier alternative to doing an HID conversion.Figured I would share in case someone else has been searching for new lights.

I can't attest to the longevity of these, because I just installed them today. I'll update this post later on that.

From the picture on the right it may look like there's 2 glaring spots in the middle. There kind of is, but the way my lawn slopes accentuates this.
I've driven around town and no one has flashed their brights at me (and the police haven't stopped me either).

These ones are white, not a blueish white like HID's are. I've paired them with white/orange turn signals (white when on, orange when flashing) and LED foglamps. Personally, I like the way the car looks.

Pros: No assembly required. Just plug and play.
Fully adjustable - the base can be swiveled by loosening a set screw, so the bulb can be positioned at different angles in the reflector. This to me is the most important feature, because most LED's are fixed, and if they're not dispersing light properly you're kind of screwed.
It looks like this set has a decent driver, so the bulbs **should** last pretty long. That being said - LED retrofit technology for headlamps is new, and QC is not super great for every company.

Cons: Price. This particular set costs $70 for a pair of 9006 bulbs. Granted, I paid $60 for my Sylvania ZXE's.
Due to the positioning of the headlamp assembly, it is difficult to get these bulbs in place. They fit, but if your hands are large, you'll find it difficult to get the bulb in place.
I don't know what the warranty is for these bulbs. Amazon says to contact the seller.

IMG_20170503_215148.jpg IMG_20170503_215706.jpg IMG_20170503_214131.jpg

Are those original OEM foglights? I retrofitted my '96 Mystique with some from PIAA since there was wiring in place but ended up simply chopping the end off the black blanking piece. I'd be interested to see a close-up photo of what the real part was supposed to look like.

Those are not OE foglights. I replaced them with a 6x1 led flood. They work pretty well without glaring too much. They fit really well in the original space where the old fog lights.
I think I have an OEM one laying around if you'd like some photos of it

Back