No announcement yet.

NPG upgrade brake kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to sand the pads. I used new rotors up front and had my front ones turned before installing them on the rear. I think the bias would be all wrong with the same size front and back.
    2000 CSVT red and tan #1011

Comment

Is it important to install larger rear discs at the same time you install larger front ones ? I am thinking if you install harder braking (larger) front discs, this might cause the rear to fish tail under hard braking if it only had the OEM rear discs ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        Is it important to install larger rear discs at the same time you install larger front ones ? I am thinking if you install harder braking (larger) front discs, this might cause the rear to fish tail under hard braking if it only had the OEM rear discs ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
        70%ish of your braking is handled by the fronts to begin with.. I dont think this would be affected nearly as much I believe are cars are equipped with proportioning valves on the brake hard lines themself... I believe these are there for this exact reason.. to help displace the difference in pressure due to different lengths on brake line itself..

I could be wrong but I don't think it i will adversely affect it under "normal use" Now if you are going to track the car every other weekend..then maybe further down the rabbit hole you must go.
        Black/Tan #0719 SVT..Gone to heaven
        Black/Tan #2013 SVT..being built/driven
        Green/Cloth 98 Zetec, Atx, Mystique..Gone
        Tan/Tan leather 99 Mystique LS V6 ATX...Daily Driver

Comment

Just to add my experience, I have had the NPG kit on my car, front and rear, for about five years. The brakes perform just fine. I didn't notice much difference in braking performance at normal speeds, but hard braking I would say is a bit better. They look good with the larger rotors, and installation isn't too hard. The front kit is very easy. The only thing needed is to drill the stock mounting bracket holes a bit larger as the bolts that NPG provides to attach their brackets are larger. The rear kit takes more work. First, you need to grind the inner surface of the stock brackets to gain more clearance, and since these are made of hard steel it takes a lot of grinding. I tried various methods and found that a carbide bit in a die grinder worked best. Be prepared for a lot of grinding and test fitting. Second, I had the inner rotor hats turned down .020 in order to fit over the hubs, and this worked fine. When I do my next brake job I am going to grind down the edges of the hubs so I won't have to pay for the machining. Third, I had to have my rotors turned down. Once I had everything assembled I could hear some scraping and figured that the pads were too thick, so I had the rotors taken down .010 on each side, and this solved that problem. I used EBC red pads. I plan to use Mintex pads the next time, I don't care for the EBC pads all that much, so maybe they will have a bit more clearance? If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
          '99 CSVT # 2507
          SF/MNB
          BAT suspension, Nautilus brake conv.
          '65 Mustang coupe
          '74 260 Z

Comment

Is Nautilus still the best place to buy the big brake kits ?

Mad Dog

Comment

For their kit, yes. not sure who is still making any otherwise.
              - 12 Focus SE
              - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
              - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Does the large front brake kit work with E1 stock rims ?

Mad Dog

Comment

Pretty sure the kit was designed to work with factory wheels. I can but E0 wheels on the front of my car. I recall seeing photos of other cars with E1 wheels on them.
                  - 12 Focus SE
                  - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
                  - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Whats a reputable vendor for the SVT Focus 300mm brake rotors ?

Mad Dog

Comment

Whats a reputable vendor for the SVT Focus 300mm brake rotors ?

Mad Dog
                      Your best bet these days is probably Summit Racing Equipment. RockAuto may have them but it is hard to tell if they have the right diameter given the sparse information provided on their listings. I checked the BAT website and they don't have the front rotors anymore.
                      Mr. Spindlelegs
                      1999 Black SVT #1658 of 2760
                      2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series

Comment

Thanks for the recommend. I see a bunch of 300mm "Focus SVT" rotors on Ebay. but I would rather be sure about purchasing something so important. Focus SVT is 4-bolt, correct ?

I emailed NPG with some questions over a week ago but havnt heard anything. Do they only answer the phone ?

Mad Dog

Comment

Thanks for the recommend. I see a bunch of 300mm "Focus SVT" rotors on Ebay. but I would rather be sure about purchasing something so important. Focus SVT is 4-bolt, correct ?

I emailed NPG with some questions over a week ago but havnt heard anything. Do they only answer the phone ?

Mad Dog
                          The Focus SVT is the exact same 4-bolt pattern as the Contour/Mystique/Cougar.

It has been the experience of many that it is best to call NPG instead of e-mail.
                          Mr. Spindlelegs
                          1999 Black SVT #1658 of 2760
                          2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series

Comment

Working...
                          X