• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to change rear brake pads ???

s24e23

New CEG'er
SORRY I MEANT SHOES !!!! We took everything off drum, pads=shoes, cylinders and can't get it to go on right ! The strut and quadrant won't go back on the brake shoes. What do we do !!! U guys say those big name places steal ur money so i hope one of u very skillful contourers can hope us!

THANK U !
S
please hit me back soon:shrug:

Last edited:
There is an adjuster to retract the pistons. Once you install the pads, you adjust them close the same way, but they will adjust by stopping in reverse. Also, as rule of thumb, only do one side at a time so you have a template.

-Andy

When you replace pads, the caliper pistons must be compressed to make room for the new pads (the old pads were thinner, that's why they need to be repalced).

On Contour front calipers the piston is retracted with a "C" clamp.

On Contour rears the piston is retracted by screwing it back. There is a special tool for this, but it can also be done with long nose pliers. Look at the end of the pistons, the part that contacts the brake pad. There are slots in the end of the piston sort of shaped like a cross. Use the slots with the long nose pliers to turn the pistons in to retract them.

All good info, except he has drums..

The steps would be different for that.. no? (I assume so, but having never actually SEEN a CONTOUR drum setup, I can't swear there isn't something similar. This is Ford.. I wouldn't put it past anything they did.. lol)

????

????

Do u guys know a site that has info on have to change the drum,shoes,cylinders on a 2000 contour:shrug:
besides autozone ?
thanks

Do u guys know a site that has info on have to change the drum,shoes,cylinders on a 2000 contour:shrug:
besides autozone ?
thanks
I've already sent you info in PMs for Autozone and from the 1996 Ford CD Manual. I don't think the brake drums changed from 1996 to 2000. :shrug:
Tony2005 - originally sent in a PM on 3-16-07 said:
Below is information from the 1996 Ford CD. Not sure how close it is for the 2000. You should get a hold of todras (a CEGer) and purchase a 2000 Ford CD (about $8.50). Hope it works out well.

Brake Drum
Removal

1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
3. Remove drum retainers.
4. Release rear brake strut and quadrant by removing plug in brake drum and inserting screwdriver into rear brake strut and quadrant. A forward motion of the screwdriver will separate the quadrant from the knurled wheel and allow brake shoes to retract.
5. Remove brake drum.

Installation
1. Position brake drum on rear hub.
2. Install drum retainers.
3. Install wheel and tire assembly. Tighten lug nuts to 85 N-m (62 lb-ft).
4. Lower vehicle.

Brake Shoes and Lining
Removal
1. Remove brake drum as outlined.
2. Remove brake shoe hold down springs and brake shoe hold down spring pins.
3. Remove brake shoe retracting springs.
4. Remove brake shoes and linings. Remove parking brake return spring. Disengage rear brake strut and quadrant from rear brake shoe and lining.
5. Remove parking brake rear cable and conduit from parking brake cable anchor on trailing brake shoe.

Installation
1. Lubricate rear brake shoe and lining contact points on back plate with Silicone Dielectric Compound D7AZ-19A331-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M1C171-A.
2. Engage parking brake rear cable and conduit into parking brake cable anchor on trailing brake shoe.
3. Position trailing rear brake shoes and linings on rear brake backing plate. Engage rear brake strut and quadrant. Install parking brake return spring.
4. Install brake shoe hold down spring pin and brake shoe hold down spring.
5. Insert leading rear brake shoe and lining into slot on rear brake strut and quadrant. Install brake shoe hold down spring pin and brake shoe hold down spring.
6. Install brake shoe retracting springs.
7. Adjust rear brake shoe and lining by first measuring brake drum with Brake Adjustment Gauge D81L-1103-A or equivalent.
8. Insert a small screwdriver into the knurled quadrant of the rear brake strut and quadrant to release brake shoes. Adjust the rear brake shoes and linings to the same measurement of the brake drum by expanding rear brake strut and quadrant.

Wheel Cylinder
Removal
1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Remove rear brake shoes and linings as outlined.
3. Disconnect rear wheel brake hose from rear wheel cylinder.
4. Remove rear wheel cylinder bolts and rear wheel cylinder.

Installation
1. Position rear wheel cylinder onto rear brake backing plate and install two rear wheel cylinder retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 10-13 N-m (7-9 lb-ft).
2. Connect rear wheel brake hose to rear wheel cylinder. Tighten fitting to 14-24 N-m (10-17 lb-ft).
3. Install rear brake shoe and lining as outlined.
4. Bleed brake system.

Last edited:
from what I know about the contour rear drum brakes and other rear drum brake set ups that I have seen it is your standard rear drum brake setup ... cylinder is at the top and the adjuster at the bottom ... need to back the adjuster off to make everything fit and to get the drum back on then you need to adjust it out and it will finish adjusting automatically with the parking brake iirc ...

Back