• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

REPLACEMENT FOR ENGINE TORQUE DAMPER - "MINI SHOCK"?

Randy

New CEG'er
Hi, I'm in need of this "mini-shock" - so far no one knows what it is let alone where to get one.
I am not a search pro but searched the applicable archives with numerous word combos - got nothing, thus the post.
It mounts under the radiator on the cradle and to the trans. Keeps the engine rocking to a min.
Mine sez STAB #699314. I found out today it's a "STAB-0-SHOCK" by the German company Stabilus. They have a sales office in Mich.
Will call them tomorrow and let you know if I get anywhere - maybe before we solve it here?
Thanks for all the help,
Randy

will let you know now that this road has been walked down a few times and i believe the outcome was not in their favor. BUT! i believe they went with the straight support mount for less flex at the cost of more vibration

Those things are useless. Get a poly insert for the front roll resister and poly fill the rear round one. I throw that staboshock away on any contour I work on.

Beans, I try not to do too much thinking - dangerous. This is my first stab-o-shocked vehical, to me.....SVT put it there for a reason, it was shot, I wanted to replace it - end of story.

Satya, happy to end this fruitless search. You got a brand and or # I can look up, buy and start bangin gears?

Ford likes to use very soft, squishy engine mounts and roll resistors, and while the roll resistors control the amount of engine movement, they don't much control the rate of engine movement - this is where the mini-shock comes in, it slows down the engine movement and prevents oscillation, much like a damper on the wheel suspension. If you stiffen up the roll resistors as others have described, the mini-shock becomes mostly unnecessary, but you may notice some additional NVH transmitted from the engine to the cabin.

Ford has been using these engine mount dampers since the early/mid-80's, and typically after about 10 years, they become Unobtanium.

Well it took a while but here it is, the final response from STABILUS - the damper manufactor.
Randal,

The replacement part for the Ford SVT engine damper is Stabilus part number 5877EA.
For replacement price and delivery, please contact our distributor partner Orr and Orr at 708-496-9800.
Best regards,
James

Thanks James!!! Wow finally, then I called Orr & Orr.....................4-6 weeks to get it made/shipped for only $205.50!!!!

Being that that's 1/4 of the cost of the car I'm out, end of my quest.

Randy

Back