• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RAM Mount for iPod

giganto

CEG'er
I am once again mounting an iPod in a Contour, but this time a little differently. Head units have become better about being controlled by the iPod, and mounting options have improved as well. With the help of Crutchfield, I selected the Kenwood KMM-BT518HD "digital media receiver." It does not have a CD player, but it does have a rear USB port which I like for the "clean" look. Pressing the "5" button changes the "mode" and allows the iPod's touch screen to be used like normal.

I found RAM mounts to have a great deal of versatility. It can accommodate every kind of iPod securely, as well as any number of GPS, tablet and camera there is by just changing the custom-made (and affordable) device mounts. They have two ball-and-socket joints that can be pinched securely or loosened easily for adjustment with a single knob. There are a number of base plates to choose from, and I chose the 2.5" diameter round base accommodating the "B" size ball. I got a spare "Contour" dash panel from the junk yard to play with and drilled holes for the PATS light, the USB cable and two mounting bolts.

fetch

The panel holds tight even on bumpy roads.

fetch
fetch

Attachments

• photo17714.JPG
    photo17714.JPG
    666.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17715.JPG
    photo17715.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17716.jpg
    photo17716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
that's pretty cool. I attempted something like that as well but my dash bezel is broken on all of the points where it screws to the dash so it just sits in the slot. I ended up just putting a handle bar mount on my parking brake handle for a little while lol

Back