• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need new engine mounts

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I get a lot of slop in SVT when I shift and it "feels" like the motor mounts are shot. The vehicle has 250K miles on it, so no surprise. If I understand correctly, the best rear motor mount is one PRT sells and for the front right motor mount (neat the PS pump), is it possible to rebuild the stock part with a new rubber damper, or is buying a whole new part the only way to go ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I have never seen the motor mount by the power steering fail. It is always the Roll Restrictor behind the transmission or the front mount that goes. The one over the transmission is prone to fail as well. You can rebuild the roll restrictor yourself with urethane, not too difficult. Get the 70 or 80 hardness type.

I have never seen the motor mount by the power steering fail. It is always the Roll Restrictor behind the transmission or the front mount that goes. The one over the transmission is prone to fail as well. You can rebuild the roll restrictor yourself with urethane, not too difficult. Get the 70 or 80 hardness type.

I replaced both upper mounts on mine since both were bad. The upper engine mount can go bad if the lower mounts are also bad.

I thought about filling my rear restrictor with 80, but if PRT would make one that would save me some hassle. Given the miles on the car anything is likely to go. Having said that, it still runs great.

thanks,

Mad Dog

I thought about filling my rear restrictor with 80, but if PRT would make one that would save me some hassle. Given the miles on the car anything is likely to go. Having said that, it still runs great.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Are you still in Augusta,GA?

IM still here. I went to the Pull a Part and there are a few contours on the lot. If I try to get the rear engine support off one of these, do I have to support the engine first ? I kind of hate getting under a under a junker on a lot.

Mad Dog

As long as your only pulling the front or rear you will be ok but obioulsy don't remove the side mounts. You missed an SVT Contour that had been there for a few months. I pulled a few things from it.
IM still here. I went to the Pull a Part and there are a few contours on the lot. If I try to get the rear engine support off one of these, do I have to support the engine first ? I kind of hate getting under a under a junker on a lot.

Mad Dog

You bad dog ! I just saw it on the website a few weeks ago but couldn't get to it until last Friday. Did you get anything good off of it ?

Mad Dog

You bad dog ! I just saw it on the website a few weeks ago but couldn't get to it until last Friday. Did you get anything good off of it ?

Mad Dog

I picked up a sunroof motor and a couple other little things but it was pretty beat to hell.

Pretty much ALL aftermarket OEM replacement mounts are crap...............that including Westar, DEA, Anchor, and Napa, they use cheap Chinese hard as rock rubber and the pass side hydro types have lifespans in hours not years. Many go in as little as 6 months and can shed the upper pieces to have them run through your belts and damage.

I'm late but there it is, I used to sell the parts OTC.

Back