X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a heatshield

So doomsayer and i have decided to make a heatshield for my svt and i was wondering if anyone had any advice?
    1998.5 Black SVTC - WRSW intake, custom ram air plumbing, magnaflow catback, platinum burner fogs, vinyl eyelids
    2004 Beige Lincoln LS-V8 Ultimate
    - Josh

Heres the semi done heatshield I will put a nicer seal around the top. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks ya or na?
    1998.5 Black SVTC - WRSW intake, custom ram air plumbing, magnaflow catback, platinum burner fogs, vinyl eyelids
    - Josh

Comment

Aside from getting a better seal around the top, I am very happy with how it turned out
      - Josh

Comment

kinda of looks like a kn heat shield. what did you use?
        --current cars: 1998 contour svt # 0165, 2009 mercury mariner premiere
        --past cars: 1996 contour se, too many mods to list!!, 1999 silfro svt, 1999 tropic green svt, and tooooooooo many others to list.

Comment

a 5 gallon rubbermaid trash can lol its cheap and it seems to work really well. Just by running around for about 30 minutes then coming home and feeling the air inside the box, it is noticeably coolr than the rest of the air in the engine compartment.
          - Josh

Comment

The old rubbermaid headshield mod. This was quite popular for a while in the Lightning community.
            2001 SVT Lightning #2839 - Stock

2000 SVT Contour #1541 - | BAT | FSVT EAP | Hankook K110 | Y-pipe | RSTB | Energy Suspension |

Comment

Here's the finished product. That's where I got the idea lol
              - Josh

Comment

what did you use for the seals

Comment

i ended up using pipe insulation from menards the whole set-up cost about 8 bucks lol
                  - Josh

Comment

this was popular on these forums back before the pudmunkie or npg setups were available.
                    --current cars: 1998 contour svt # 0165, 2009 mercury mariner premiere
                    --past cars: 1996 contour se, too many mods to list!!, 1999 silfro svt, 1999 tropic green svt, and tooooooooo many others to list.

Comment

yea i figured people have done it before. I just dont like the way cold air intakes look and def. didnt want to spend the money on a pudmunkie
                      - Josh

Comment

Looks good, like someone said it was very popular when I joined the forums.

Off topic: did you know the Conquest has the same drag coefficient as an SVT Contour at .32?
                        '99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...140K and currently dead. RIP
                        '98 Dark Blue SE Sport V6 MTX 123K and counting, all mods from old, plus D2's.
                        '03 5dr SVTF 110K the new DD, some mods, hoping not many more.

Comment

I actually didn't lol, i always thought the conquest would be more aerodynamic than the contour...looks can be deceiving i guess
                          - Josh

Comment

i ended up changing the seal around the top still trying to find the best working and looking seal

- Josh

Comment

Yeah that coefficient number for the Contour does not include front air dam volume, no info on the conquest as to whether it does or not.
                              '99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...140K and currently dead. RIP
                              '98 Dark Blue SE Sport V6 MTX 123K and counting, all mods from old, plus D2's.
                              '03 5dr SVTF 110K the new DD, some mods, hoping not many more.

Comment

Working...
                              X