X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear clunking sound when going over bumps

I recently purchased a 96 6cyl mtx mystique, with 128k miles from the orignal owner.
    It sounds only when going over bumps/dips, it is only on the rear pass. side. Kind of sounds like a seat belt locking up but it is not. Any sugestions, is this a common problem?

Check your rear subframe. The mounts that hold the sway bar up may be broken making the sway bar bounce up and down making a clunking noise. I have the same thing in my 99 SVT! I have all the parts to replace but I dont have time. Im also located in Jersey City just incase you need help!

Also a Simple weld can temporarily fix the issue and be fairly cheap. But this is temp so when you hit another big bump it might just break again! You might have to get a reinforced rear subframe and replace it as a permanent fix(or thats what i would do)! Ive had this sound for close to 4 months without it leading to any major issues yet. If this is the problem u dont have to worry about it but the sound does get annoying and im planning to change mine soon.

- Amyn
    Last edited by qbcsvt; 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM.
    '99 (Mystichrome Bay) CSVT - 0532 - I can finally say that my car is a car again!!! www.facebook.com/fapauto - www.fapauto.com

Comment

If your rear swaybar mounts are still intact check the upper strut mount. at one point i had the same noise, checked the subframe and it was fine so i started looking elsewhere. turns out the nut that holds the upper strut mount on had backed off slightly and allowed the strut to move making the noise.
      TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
      officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC - sold 5/1/10
      '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Comment

also, check the rear swaybar endlinks...the nuts may have loosened and are causing the swaybar to move...
        2013 Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost with Livernois Motorsport flash tuner
        2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6L V8 w/Tech. Pkg slightly modded
        1999 Contour SVT - Tred and turbo

Comment

Check your bar bushings, too. They could be shot. Easy, cheap fix, if that's the case, as are the endlinks that were already mentioned.
          2000 Tropic Green Contour SVT
          1994 Opal Frost Taurus SHO -- SOLD!

"Have you ever seen a spleen that large?"
          "No -- no -- not since breakfast."

Comment

Couldn't be a corroded sping, would it?
            2011 Mustang GT/CS (1 of 40) GT500 axleback exhaust
            2000 T-Red CSVT (CAI, FSVT's)

Comment

Well i looked for the upper strut mounting nut, is that inside or outside the car?
              I cant seem to replicate the noise by jumping up and down in the trunk, also it doesnt seem to make any noise side to side.
              By the way it sounds it seems like its in the trunk, but I cannot see any bushing or the top of the strut either.
              Man fords really suck lol, such a PITA to work or do stuff on (such as the t-45 or what ever one it is, needed for the rear brakes)

Comment

Hey -- no knocking Fords. They've stood by me, and I stand by them. Yeah, the caliper bolts use a torx bolt -- want to say is a t-47, from memory, could be a little off, though. They're no big deal -- as long as you have a Torx bit.

Chances are you won't be able to replicate the sound by moving the car yourself (and the upper strut bolt is in the trunk, at the top of the strut tower). You may have to have the wife, girlfriend, or buddy drive the car while you sit in the trunk. One of the guys on here (bxd20) did that not too long ago with positive results, if memory serves. You'll need the weight of the car, not just your own strength, to help you locate the malfeasance.

Comment

Do you know what size the bolt is? I tried every size except for 18mm and over 17/18. Seems really tricky.

Comment

Size of what bolt? I'm lost. Everything on a Contour is like 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, & 18mm.
                    Former owner of '98 SVT #1,173. Need a 95-00 Ford CD manual? PM me

Comment

theres a few 10mm and 8mm in there and the lug nuts are 19mm

Comment

Originally posted by todras View Post
                        Size of what bolt? I'm lost. Everything on a Contour is like 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, & 18mm.
                        for the upper strut. im confused, is the bolt inside the trunk or is outside in the wheel well looking up into the trunk?

Comment

Originally posted by ubnpast View Post
                          for the upper strut. im confused, is the bolt inside the trunk or is outside in the wheel well looking up into the trunk?
                          In the trunk, at the top of the strut tower.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSVT View Post
                            In the trunk, at the top of the strut tower.
                            NO!

There are 2 nuts that hold the strut in. No nuts up on the tower in the trunk etc! The caps are already on when you put it in.
                            Former owner of '98 SVT #1,173. Need a 95-00 Ford CD manual? PM me

Comment

Originally posted by todras View Post
                              NO!

There are 2 nuts that hold the strut in. No nuts up on the tower in the trunk etc! The caps are already on when you put it in.

Yes and if that top nut comes loose for whatever reason it may make the clunking noise that is being heard. the easiest way to get to it without removing the strut is in the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X