• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Prt aluminum sub frame bushings

cougarsman

CEG'er
I bought prt's aluminum sub frame bushings and I'm wondering what the advantage is of installing them and what the disadvantages are ? Since they are metal and they are going on a dd could any sus components become broken? Cause of vibration? Or anything else? Keep in mind the oem bushings are rubber. I did find out that they offer poly bushings for the ford mondeo so that might also be an option too?

Advantage is a stronger body to subframe structure. No deflection of the subframe in hard corners.

Disadvantages are more noise and vibration will be transferred to the body because the rubber bushings used to absorb it are gone.

exactly what crew chief said. i've personally never heard of the poly sub-frame bushings you mentioned but on a daily driver you might want to lean more towards the poly bushings in the event that you dont intend to track the car much

Would like to see a link to the Mondeo poly bushings.

Beware, because there are a lot of products on the market for many cars, including this one, that are poorly engineered and don't work. Excepting the factory rubber and solid metal PRT bushings (which is a great product), any polyurethane, rubber, or Delrin front subframe bushing for this car that lacks a metal crush sleeve in the core of the bushing is a dangerous product, it will cold flow and will not hold a torque.

That seller has some poly bushings for Mondeo front subframe mounting, and they do appear to have crush sleeves, but fitting a Mondeo is no guarantee of fitting a stateside Contour or Cougar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281068234074

I don't see any danger of breaking suspension components from installing Aluminum subframe bushings, I've done these on several cars over many years of street/DD and open track use and never had any failures. You may notice an increase in NVH conducted into the body and cabin from road and tire tread noise.

If something could break from the install of the aluminum bushings what do you think it would be?
Would the rear poly bushings in the link I posted work for our cars? Contour or coug....

If something could break from the install of the aluminum bushings what do you think it would be?
Would the rear poly bushings in the link I posted work for our cars? Contour or coug....

You're going to get some additional NVH, but other than that I have heard of zero ill effects resulting from install and I can't think of any components that could become damaged as a result of installation. There are more than a few running them on daily cars and I have yet to recieve a complaint on the NVH. I had solid steel SFBs welded into the track car, and would daily them myself in a heartbeat. With regard to the links you've posted, it's all for MK3 Mondeo parts, which are not interchangeable with the CDW-27 platform sans what's under the hood. The chassis is completely different. If there's something specific you're looking for, contact me via the PRT Facebook page or the "Contact Us" link at PRTautosport.com

~Josh

While we are on the topic of awesome aftermarket sus parts, what do you guys think about the sub frame connectors that members have gotten in the past on here? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Do members really notice a difference in handling once the sb connectors are welded up?

Back