• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm pretty sure this sound is the rear struts?

andyboy13

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey guys,

I figured I could try and explain the rear clunk I am hearing all day on here, but I figured I'd post a video. I just wanted to double check that this is a strut issue and not something else, like the sway bar, or a bushing or something. The video is of the rear passenger tire.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Sounds like it. Might have to replace the upper strut bearing and mount while it is apart,

Mine squeaks like hell. That, I think is from the strut assembly and spring. A bushing also can cause that too (bump knock) as well as squeaks.

Hard to tell, but the first place I'd look is the sway bar end links where they pass through the lower control arm, these bushings are a common failure point and will lead to clunks. The rubber pivot bushing in the sway bar ends links can also get pounded out. Check the rubber in the trailing link bushings as well.

Simple stuff first, if the end links and bushings are OK, then pull the strut, check bump and rebound, check the upper mount for deterioration.

Sounds like it. Might have to replace the upper strut bearing and mount while it is apart,

Mine squeaks like hell. That, I think is from the strut assembly and spring. A bushing also can cause that too (bump knock) as well as squeaks.

The rear struts do not have any bearings, that is the front only.

Generally clunking in the rear suspension is the sway bar. Now if the suspension is original the clunking could also be the strut mounts.

The rear struts do not have any bearings, that is the front only.

Generally clunking in the rear suspension is the sway bar. Now if the suspension is original the clunking could also be the strut mounts.

Sway bar and/or it's End Links. My experience is the End Links are the more rapid wear item of the two. Test by simply observing the rubber bumpers and/or remove the End Links altogther - does the noise abate?

Back