• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Koni Blue springs info

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
I have a set of these springs, they appear to be off of a set of the Koni coil over's, I spoke with koni directly and here's what I said and then what they said.

"Hello yes I have a 2000 SVT contour with what appears to be factory struts, on Koni springs. I wanted to find out more information on the springs themselves, such as what struts they are compatible with, I plan on removing them from the Factory struts and reinstalling them on a 1999 SVT contour..

Any information is greatly appreciated, I more or less want to know what advantages these springs offer, they seem to sit the factory height, but are a much firmer spring. Again i am pulling them off a 2000 SVT ford Contour and putting them on 1999 SVT Ford Contour.

I can no longer find a listing for these springs themselves or ANY offering for your struts/springs for the SVT contour platform..any advice??

The springs themselves are light blue in color and stamped "KONI0 059" midway up the coils.

Thanks again,"

Here is what they said..

The blue KONI springs along with the Contour Sport Yellow front and rear struts were discontinued many years ago. However the springs and dampers both themselves fit the 98-01 Contour including the SVT models. The springs provided 40mm (1.5’’) of lowering both front and rear from the factory ride height. The combination of the lowering and firmer spring adds to the performance and handling characteristics of vehicle. It also help to eliminate body roll in cornering and keeping the car flat under acceleration and braking. .

Well as you can see this doesn't really answer my question.. but im waiting to here back again from replying to this response...
Basically I want to know if these coils are safe to be ran on the factory struts?? from everything I am reading on here I am assuming NO they may ride ok but will wear out the struts quicker..

Anyone care to elaborate on this for me please?? I have until weds this week to decide if I want to remove them from my parts car before it goes to the junk yard.. I'll post pics if I can monday.
Are they even worth pulling off my parts car?? They are a tad bit rusted in certain spots and i have no fkin clue the mileage on them..they seem ALOT stiffer than my factory springs on my other car...

In the case I want to remove them in the FASTEST way possible, how would I go about it?? just take the whole assembly out..thanks Anyone have these springs and can tell me anything good/bad about them.

I have no clue why/how the person put these coils on what appear to be factory struts (im still checking into them..) but they are on the parts car I am junking.. my problem is If I take off the suspension the car will NOT roll... how the hell am I going to move it then??

anyways thanks guys I need input ASAP!! I seach up n down this site and the archives for info on JUST the springs themselves..

Here's a picture of EXACTLY what they look like n everything but these are a set off a Mazda Mx-5. so instead of where these say "Koni 110", Mine say "Koni 059"

30508-koni-blue-lowering-springs-20111011_222450.jpg

Reading the FAQ will tell you stock struts won't handle lowering springs for long.Spring rates change between vehicle, a miata weighs less then a contour therefore a different spring rate. They don't give that type of information out usually.

Only way to remove them if to pull the strut assembley.

A flatbed can take a car without any wheels or tires if you are junking it.

For reference, factory spring rates for the SVT Contour were about 120 pounds/inch front and 100 pounds/inch rear.

Aftermarket springs for street-going cars rarely even double the factory spring rates, a 50 to 75% increase is more typical, as there's always a question if the rebound damping in factory struts can handle the additional spring rate. If there isn't enough rebound damping for the spring rate, then you get a bouncy pogo stick car.

I seem to remember that Koni strongly recommended using their Yellow adjustable struts with their springs, the Yellow's have way more damping than the factory units.

There have been discussions here in the long ago past about the Koni springs, and they seem to be desirable, so if it was me, I'd yank them and list them up for sale, somebody here probably wants them. The search function for this board is rather poor, and searching "Koni springs" returns 20 pages of threads, and I'm not willing to plow through all that even for you Francis. :laugh:

The actual Koni spring rates have always been a mystery, and Koni rarely shares this information. If you get me some very careful measurements of the springs, I can calculate their rates and probably get within 5% of actual, as I are an engineer.

Interesting, well I may be pulling them off, depends how much b.s. is involved in that, I only have hand tools for now Ugh :(
Thanks for the replies, yea I tried going nuts searching for info on JUST the springs but couldn't find anything..other than the stuff about the springs PLUS struts..
Being that I have no idea of the mileage/condition Id prefer to just put on new springs/struts.. then blowout my factory ones trying to install these...

If the springs are on struts then they are compatible with all struts for the car. The struts physical dimensions are the same for all years.

Are the front and rear spring different diameters? If so they are not coil over springs.

I don't recall ever hearing of Koni coilovers. Most people got Koni struts and ground control coil overs. There install required removing the spring perch. The ground control coil-over springs are also a smaller diameter than any either front or rear spring for the struts.

The strut assemblies can easily be removed with hand tools.

Back