• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

And this, boys and gorillas, is why we grease threads...

gmorrell

Hard-core CEG'er
Recently bought a used OMP strut brace from a member here, and I'm not blaming him for this, fact is, I think he might have never used it, because the center adjuster bolt was just stupid frozen. I'd like to get it blasted and powder coated, so I went to dis-assemble the cross brace from the adjuster bolt.

The right-hand thread side came apart without much effort.

The left-hand thread side was another matter. There were big wrenches involved, copious quantities of penetrating oil, cursing, even a torch to warm to tube end to try to lose it from the threaded stud. No mas... Finally got out the impact wrench and a deep 17mm socket. It was hard seized and left a fair amount of the stud's metal in the interior threads of the welded in collar.

The results:

I can get an M16-1.5 left-hand tap from The Mothership (Amazon...) for $30 shipped to chase the munged up internal threads, am wondering if it's worth it. Have an email in to OMP America to see if I can get a new adjuster bolt. EDIT: The first response from OMP was "Though you can most probably purchase them at the local hardware store." Uh... no.

See the bullet you dodged SuperRob? :laugh:

Well, OMP America has no spare parts, so now at the suggestion of a rep at OMP America, I'm emailing OMP in Great Britain and Italy. I think this strut brace is close to becoming scrap metal.

Due to basement remodeling, and my workshop not yet being finished, my own lathe is not on a workbench, or I'd make it myself.

Back