• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering Rack Install

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
I'm in the middle of installing a new/reman'd steering rack on the wife's SE. Everything's been going pretty smoothly so far. The old rack is out and I just picked up a Cardone reman'd unit from Advanced. When I took the rack out of the box I noticed that there was only one teflon ring that came with it. But when looking at the pamphlets, it mentions teflon rings - plural, and also o rings. But there were no other o rings either. Do you guys who have done this job or anyone else, know if this is right. Am I missing something? Should I have more than just 1 teflon ring included? Thx

To be honest I am not sure what parts you are referencing. Have you compared it side by side with the OEM one that was removed to check for similarity/differences?

Talking about teflon o-rings. The 2 lines at the rack, return and pressure lines look like they're both supposed to have the white teflon o-ring fitted over the threads before reconnecting the lines.
My rack only came with 1 of the o-rings. I'm guessing I either lost it while unpacking or it was never included. I was confused and wondering/hoping 1 of those lines didn't need it.
But yes I did look closely again at both of the steering lines on the car and it looks like they both have the o-ring. Probably a dumb question to begin with. Why wouldn't they both need an o-ring?
I think I have that part figured out now. I was able to get 2 more of the teflon o-rings from Advanced. They sell them in packet of 2. Maybe hard to explain without a pic.

Each one of the threaded tube fittings should have a Teflon O-ring installed just under the fitting hex. These Teflon O-rings should be replaced any time one of these fittings is dis-assembled. You might want to consider replacing the whole fitting nut on the pressure line, as the internal sealing O-ring tends to leak as these fittings age, and especially if they're disturbed.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/gen...ering-fluid-please-help?p=1465329#post1465329

The Teflon O-rings go on a lot easier if you warm them in boiling water first.

Each one of the threaded tube fittings should have a Teflon O-ring installed just under the fitting hex. These Teflon O-rings should be replaced any time one of these fittings is dis-assembled. You might want to consider replacing the whole fitting nut on the pressure line, as the internal sealing O-ring tends to leak as these fittings age, and especially if they're disturbed.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/gen...ering-fluid-please-help?p=1465329#post1465329

The Teflon O-rings go on a lot easier if you warm them in boiling water first.

Hey, thanks for the info. I actually saw your post about this but must have skimmed through it too quick. I hadn't noticed that you changed the fittings at the rack too. I see you did on your mustang but did you do that to the contour too at the rack? I thought you guys were mostly working on the leaking connections at the pump.

So if I'm reading you right. You're saying there is a Teflon O-ring that goes over the threads just under the hex AND an internal sealing O-ring within the fitting nut? Thanks again.

So if I'm reading you right. You're saying there is a Teflon O-ring that goes over the threads just under the hex AND an internal sealing O-ring within the fitting nut? Thanks again.

Yes, the Teflon O-ring seals the fitting nut on it's outside threads where it screws into the rack body. There's a rubber O-ring inside the fitting nut that seals around the steel tube end, this is the O-ring that leaks all the time in old fittings and fittings that have been disturbed (taken apart...). The only way to replace the internal O-ring is to saw off the old fitting nut and replace it. This style fitting is used everywhere on the pressure side of the power steering plumbing, and also on the steering rack return line at the rack, which is under very little pressure, basically the fluid head pressure from the height of the power steering reservoir.

I'm suggesting that you replace the fitting nut on the pressure fitting hose to the rack, because unless you're just stupid lucky and recently won the Powerball Jackpot*, it will leak after you've re-assembled everything.

* In which case, you wouldn't be driving a Contour...

lol, yeah maybe not if I was lucky...don't want no leaks after putting it back together that's for sure.

To get the new fitting on the line, do you cut end and flare it? Just replace whole line? Still confused about that. Looks like you changed everything, lines and all. I didn't want to take line off at the pump and face same issue up there. How about cut the line, flare and union with new fitting?

You have to cut the fitting nut from the tube very carefully with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel. Read the thread I linked, many of us have done this to replace these leaky fitting nuts. The nut is a dealer part, usually under $10, the part number is in the thread as well. Dealers usually have some stock of this nut, and I think the dealers must have a special service tool to remove them without cutting, but I've never seen it.

progress pic...just thought I'd share a quick pic. Came off pretty easily as described by you guys that did this. One down one more to go. Thanks!

so, fyi for anyone having to do this...
The packages with the part numbers in the pic above are for the return line (F5RZ3R608C) fitting at the rack and for the fitting at the pump (F5RZ3R608B).
I needed the pressure line fitting at the rack and that part number is discontinued (F5RZ3R608A) and out of stock at the dealers I've checked.
I had cut both fittings at the rack off thinking I had the right ones but now I see that I don't and can't find one of them (A).
I then had to get the whole pressure line from autozone for $51. Just thought I'd let everyone know about that fitting not being available and that you need the whole pressure line when changing out the rack.

Back