• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 strut setup vs Post 98 strut setup

LilCe98

Hard-core CEG'er
So I have a set of Pre98 H&R springs that I've been trying to sell. I'm thinking about picking up some pre98 front struts and just putting them on my 98.5 CSVT instead. Are the any performance difference between the pre98 front strut setup vs the post 98?

I think that the early SE might have been different. Not completely sure. The SVT did have different front struts.

But any aftermarket strut you pick up now is going to be the same for all years.

I didn't think I could use pre98 springs on a post 98 without getting the pre 98 struts. Is that not the case? Do I just need to pick up the pre 98 strut mounts?

That was also my understanding. I'm wondering what I need to mount these pre98 spring on my post98 SVT and if there are any performance, durability, etc, difference between the different setups .

Yes the spring perch might be different. I know that the strut bearings are different so the mount and top plate might also be different.

The valving of the SVT strut was different than the rest. But the aftermarket strut will not have a difference anymore.

I would say to be safe match everything up.

The valving of the SVT strut was different than the rest. But the aftermarket strut will not have a difference anymore.

So is that why i cant find an SVT specific strut? any aftermarket strut will have the same handling as the original SVT?

So is that why i cant find an SVT specific strut? any aftermarket strut will have the same handling as the original SVT?

Because as I said the aftermarket doesn't make a SVT specific strut nor does Ford anymore. The aftermarket struts from part stores will be for a base model. Go to BAT if you want something else.

I currently have eibach springs on BAT struts. I've been told by my mechanic that I need new struts. My plan was to get some pre98 struts and mount for the front so I can use my H&R springs. The issue is finding some pre98 struts that can handle lowering springs. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble.

The struts fit all years, you just have to make sure the entire assembly is all from the same year. pre98 springs, pre98 shocks, pre98 strut mounts then you can stick it in any year or trim contour/mystique.

Just to update everyone. I decided to put the pre98 H&R's on the CSVT. It was either that or spend $150 more on the entire BAT kit. I got BAT's last pair of pre98 struts (spax) with BAT struts for the rear. I had to get some pre98 tops from the junkyard to make the struts work, but everything else worked. The ride height seems higher than the Eibachs I had on there before even though the H&R's are supposed to have a raked look. We'll see if the car settles any.

Back