• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lubricating Bearings at Strut Mounts?

Blacksilver

New CEG'er
I installed GC/Konis in 2003. Lately, when I turn the steering wheel I hear creaks and noises. I have lubricated the bearings before, but looks like it did little...

My question is, what is the best way for me to get some axle grease in there and lubricate the bearings? Or do they need replacing?

Unfortunately, when I did my install, we installed what we thought were upgraded bearings, the McMasters... and now I hear that they were garbage as well.

I would hate to have to rip the front up to replace two fricking bearings...

Any suggestions would greatly help. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
You might be able to take the top bolt off the strut and then jack up the car. You could get in there from the hole in the top of the strut tower...

Just be careful when you put it back down.

Noise from the strut bearing indicates bearing wear. You need to replace it. The'yre not made to be lubricated. Use the OEM bearing if it will fit your mounts. It's not a big deal to replace them really. Just make sure that if your struts have adjustment built in, you mark the position of the adjuster first so that the alignment doesn't get changed.

gc bearings arent same as stock. they are very easy to lube up. jack up the corner and the weight comes off the spring. u can move the spring freely and can reach up to separate the bearing and washers. i used to regrease mine every year before winter. make sure to use a jackstand. reach to the top of the aluminum koni spring seat and you'll feel the washers and bearing. sometimes they'd stick to the underside of the upper mount so look up there too.

i always used marine wheel bearing grease so that it could stand up to rain/carwashes and all the crap being thrown up there during winter. make sure u wear latex gloves. that grease is sticky

i always used marine wheel bearing grease so that it could stand up to rain/carwashes and all the crap being thrown up there during winter. make sure u wear latex gloves. that grease is sticky

I did the same exact thing, thought I was not doing a good enough job...

If I need to replace them, what bearing do you guys recommend I install? I can tell you that the noise is there for good, and my steering has gotten heavier... I greased them up again the other day, and it did nothing. I am guessing that they are toast...

Lastly, there has to be a way that the bearings can be shielded from the elements? I mean, as it sits, they are predesposed to failure the second you put them in. Without proper protection, no matter how well you maintain them they will ultimately fail. Even regular greasing cannot eliminate the road grime and especially the sand and dust that get in there... But I just don't see how they can be protected though...

I guess I have even more work to do now... :nonono:

I wonder why we could not use a different and better bearing. I searched McMaster and found a different one:

6681K16

I wonder if this might work?

Back